The Digest has a new server

As of today, the Digest has a new server.

Many thanks to Noah Meyerhans, the System Administrator of our home base at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) at MIT, for his patience and willingness to consider alternatives to the old system.

Thanks also to John Levine, who really did need to help this dummy work his way through the Internet. telecom-digest.org "lives" at John's server, and those who choose to receive the Digest (or individual post) by email owe John a debt: he runs the Majordomo mail robot that makes it possible.

My thanks to the many readers who offered equipment: we could not, of course, accept every offer, but I'm very grateful for the response. The machine we finally used was in previous service at MIT, and so my thanks also go to CSAIL, both for their continued support of the Digest and for their generous offer of better hardware.

The new machine has a _lot_ more disk space, and it runs on Debian GNU/Linux instead of the BSD OS, which means we'll be able to revive the Telecom-Digest online archive, and also publish the many archival contributions the Digest's readers have offered. Stay tuned for future announcements!

By the way, as with any new computer and every cutover, there may be snags. If you don't see a contribution you make appear online within a few days, please write to me at the address above (after you remove the QRM) and I'll look into it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.