[telecom] Verizon to credit Merrimack Valley customers who lost service

Verizon to credit Merrimack Valley customers who lost service

Aug 31, 2012

LAWRENCE, Mass. -

Admitting there were some issues with customer service over the last four days, Verizon says it will credit 8,000 customers who lost phone, Internet and cable for the time they went without service because of Monday's fire under Lawrence's Central Bridge.

Verizon officials said about 1,000 customers remained without service Thursday. Those affected are connected to Verizon through copper wires that melted under the intense heat of the fire. Verizon must get into each of those homes to get service restored. They said they are going door to door in areas of North Andover and South Lawrence, the area hardest hit by the outage.

They also said the numbers of those affected could climb for two reasons: Some have yet to report their service disruption and the possibility of lines that still may fail because of unseen damage.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Historical note:

The old Bell System once had a major presence in the Merrimack Valley. Western Electric's Merrimack Valley Works at their height employed around 12,000 people, and were the major employer in the region.

The AT&T archives has an interesting video describing it. (Note that these archives have both historical and contemporary technology videos available for view).

formatting link

Reply to
HAncock4

HAncock4 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o7g2000yqb.googlegroups.com :

In those days, many of my friends had a parent who worked there; I remember a tour of the plant, probably with school, but I do not remember any details.

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.