SIMM Interchangeability? [telecom]

I currently use a Samsung SGH-747 cell phone on the ATT network. It has a

3G SIM card. If I get a Samsung Galaxy S3, will the Galaxy's 4G (LTE) SIMM card work in the SGH-747, if I need to use the older phone sometime as a backup?

Thanks.

*Moderator note: the basic info in a SIM is stored in a standard, phone- independant/brand-independant, manner. But there is also provision for 'private' supplemental info. For a truely authoritative answer, you'l probably need to check with AT&T, or Samsung.
Reply to
Boris
Loading thread data ...

Boris wrote in :

No: the Galaxy S3 has a micro-SIM (the format Apple made famous), the Samsung SGH-747 has a normal mini-SIM card[1]. You will need a micro-SIM from ATT and linking the micro-sim to your account will deactivate the mini-SIM.

[1] found via the manual at
formatting link
Koos van den Hout
Reply to
Koos van den Hout

Going into a bit more detail: the SIM (Subscriber Identity Module; not "SIMM" -- that's Single Inline Memory Module) in either AT&T-issued handset should, if issued by AT&T, function correctly in any other AT&T-issued handset -- so far as identifying the subscriber is concerned, that is, and enabling the handset it's in to place and receive voice calls, to send and receive text messages, and to "get on the cellular web".

But different handsets have a nasty habit of storing contacts, messages, URL shortcuts, and the like, willy-nilly in assorted memory locations on the handset or on the SIM card, so that one handset may find what another handset stored totally unusable -- or not, you never know in advance.

For two Samsung handsets, Moderator is therefore quite right: pretty much only Samsung can tell you with any certainty.

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

:

Well, another solution is to use a micro-SIM cutter to chomp a working micro-SIM core out of your full-size SIM ... or a SIM-sized micro-SIM carrier to expand your micro-SIM to standard SIM size. Google the string [micro SIM cutter] for suggestions -- one such solution (either way) is at:

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.