Verizon is sending free 4G flip phones to customers who haven't moved on from 3G [telecom]

The carrier's 3G network is due to go offline at the end of 2022

By Chris Welch

After a few delays, Verizon seems poised to actually follow through on shutting down its 3G CDMA network at the end of this year. But the carrier is still contending with a subset of customers who sat out the

4G LTE era and haven't yet upgraded their 3G phones. So, as 2022 rolls onward, Verizon is sending those wireless subscribers a free extremely basic flip phone to prevent them from losing connectivity when the 3G network goes offline.

According to its website, Verizon will provide customers with one of three phones: the Orbic Journey V, TCL's Flip Pro, or the Nokia 2720 V Flip. The retail value for each of those devices is under $100: the Orbic is $99.99, with the other two running $79.99.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

I used to have a "4G LTE" "Smart" phone. My wife lost her phone, so I gave her mine. Verizon announced that they are retiring their 3G network, and I shrugged my shoulders and wondered when the "4G LTE" phone would need to be replaced.

Then, Verizon sent us a letter saying that the "4G LTE" phone wasn't "4G LTE" enough for them, and that I'd have to replace it before the end of the year because it won't work after the election - Um, no, sorry, I mean, after their boys are back in power - um, no, sorry, I mean, after the end of this year.

Dear reader, I'll bet every penny in my pockets against every penny in yours that the percentage of "3G" users that Verizontal is giving "free" replacement phones to is miniscule when compared to the percentage of "4G LTE" users they intend to screw.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.