[Telecom] More Extensions and Lightning Protection

Folks,

I'm on my way to closing on a house.

I have a Linksys VOIP terminal adapter to support my phones. Though it will support two lines, I'm only using one at the present time.

Linksys says the maximum number of extensions on one line is two.

Since I'm moving into a three bedroom house with a large living area, a garage, and a workshop out back, I am likely going to want to support more than two extension phones on one line.

Does anyone know of a device that will plug into the RJ11 jack of my ATA and then providesupport for five lines or more (so I can connect up to five extensions)?

Also, I plan to run wire from the house to the workshop out back. I'll need some form of lightning protector.

I've struck out with Mike Sandman. So I thought the rest of you might have some suggestions.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Linksys is being very conservative. Three phones will probably work fine, particularly if they are modern phones with electronic ringers.

Reply to
John Levine

Do you mean individually addressable extensions, or just phones on the line?

If this is an SPA2102 or suchlike, I've got 5 phones hooked onto one line without any problem. I can't imagine why there would be any limit except for ringer load and current draw (if line-powered). The SPA2102 has a maximum ringer load of 3 REN, Since modern (no 2500 sets, please) phones have a REN of 0.1 or less, that wouldn't be a problem.

Dunno there. I'd bury it, myself. I'd trust a lightning protector to keep from burning the house down, but not to keep it from crisping the electronics.

Reply to
Dave Garland

Is there a reason to not use a cordless base at the ATA, and multiple cordless remotes around the house, and maybe even in the garage ??

Reply to
Retired

The easiest solution would be a cordless system with multiple handsets.

Reply to
Bob

I agree with John. Most tweedle-deedle phones draw 0.1-0.3 REN's; not the 1.0 of a real phone such as a WECO 2500 set.

Reply to
David Lesher

John is also speaking from experience. I have an SPA-1001 plugged into the second line of my home wiring with at least three phones, and it works fine.

I have the technical equivalent of a 2500 set* but it's not plugged into that line.

R's, John

• - a Mickey Mouse phone I bought from SNET about 35 years ago, with genuine Western Electric guts, including a polarity sensitve touch tone pad. No, you can't have it.
Reply to
John Levine

But oddly, when I looked at my 2006-ish Panasonic office phone (a corded speakerphone/answering machine), its REN was 1.0B. The 2005-ish "AT&T" (AAT licensee) version of same had REN 1.1B! So not all phones put on a low ringer load.

So it's worth looking at the RENs on your devices and adding them up. The old CO standard was to support 5, but most home ATAs are lower, like the one in question. Power ring is one of the harder things for solid-state circuits to synthesize; semiconductors usually like 5 DC volts and down, not 90 volts AC! There are of course semis that can handle it, but power is not free there.

Reply to
Fred Goldstein

Thanks for the information, guys.

As far as the lightning protection, Mike Sandman has a device. So I guess that when I am ready to run that extension out to the work shop, I will be able to use those protectors to protect the ATA and the phone(s) in the work shop.

This is what he showed me:

formatting link

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson, WB4AEJ

Do all the phones have to ring? I have disconnected (not just silenced) the ringers in several of my phones to ensure reliable ringing and the remaining ones still make a significnant racket heard all thorough the house.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

If you go to the index of the catalog and scroll down to item #7 "Long Loop Adapters" and then scroll down to "Ring Voltage Booster ||" You will find an adapter that will convert a single line's output to a REN of 7.5. True it's not cheap at $124.95 bit the Sandman's catalog does have what you asked for.

Personally I'd pick two portable phone adapters. One at the remote location supporting one remote wireless and another at the house that comes with 4 or 5 wireless extension phones, checking the specs to get both with a partial REM each so they can co-reside on the same VOIP adapter with no ring voltage adapter being needed.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

AND, if you wanted to have say fifty 500-sets all ringing at the same time in your college dorm room, you can parallel something like twenty of those devices on one phone line, with 7 or 8 phones downstream of each one.

For what they are, they are worth every penny.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.