Re: Why I Am Not Switching to Verizon

>> I am pissed off with my current ISP -- Time Warner Road Runner -- they

>> cut back on technicians and now I have to wait one week for >> appointment. I checked with Verizon DSL -- they they established new >> policy that email address must be alphanumeric. > What's so unusual about that? I'd have to go look for the RFC to be > sure, but I thought the alphanumeric requirement was part of the > standard.

This is certainly not the case. In the usual contorted way of defining syntax, RFC 822 allows the "local-part" of an email address (the part before the "at" symbol) to be any number of one or more "words" separated by dots (periods or full stops); a "word", on the other hand, can be either an "atom" or a "quoted-string". An "atom" can be any number of "chars" other than "specials", "spaces", or "ctls" (i.e., any ASCII character from 0 to 127 other than ()@,;:\\".[] space, or ASCII 0-31, 127. A "quoted -string" is a quote-mark followed by one or more "qtext" or "quoted-pair" characters, followed by a quote-mark ("). A "qtext" is any "char" (ASCII 0-127) other than the quote-mark, backslash (\\), or carriage-return(CR), but including "linear-white-space" (which, in turn is a combination of optional "CRLFs" (i.e., CR followed by LF) and "LWSP-chars" (spaces or horizontal tabs). Finally, a "quoted-pair" is a backslash followd by any "char".

So the RFC would permit email addresses with local-parts such as john.smith, john-smith, $John!=+^Smith*, John_Smith, "\\\\\\"Jo(hn@Sm]]ith", or even Jo\\ hn\\ Smith and much, much weirder addresses.

Michael D. Sullivan Bethesda, MD (USA) (To reply, change example.invalid to com in the address.)

Reply to
Michael D. Sullivan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.