Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines

Michael D. Sullivan wrote:

>> There is at least one technology issue, and maybe more. Verizon's >> many millions of ADSL/POTS lines are identified by telephone number. >> The POTS telephone number is, in effect, the key, the unique >> identifier, used in the databases of both Verizon's LEC and Verizon >> Online, which markets DSL to the public. Both companies' databases > Nope, Verizon's predecessor Bell Atlantic had no trouble billing > for dry pair leased lines in the 1970's. They had a circuit number > which we used when calling in trouble tickets, but no phone number > was associated with them. I am quite willing to bet there are still > dry pair leased lines here and there. In fact I'll bet just about > every ATM machine has a wire pair with no dial-tone or phone number. > Those things use leased lines with modems set up in leased line mode. > At least that is how they used to work. No bank wants to have its > ATMs on the switched phone network, but they do lease wire pairs from > the local telco. The only difference for DSL is the type of modem.

Many ATM's now use dial-up access. Of course the encryption must be fairly robust but from what I know about banks, I tend to be pessimistic about it.

> will have to be significantly reconfigured to use an identification >> other than simply the telephone number in order to run their >> businesses before Naked DSL is offered. If you have ever called >> Verizon Online's customer (dis) service number, you will know that the >> first question asked is, "What is your DSL line's phone number?" > That is just the easiest identifier. If their database programmers > were even halfway competent there will be other wire pair circuit IDs > that are unique identifiers. In fact a phone number isn't a unique > key anyway. It can change while the wire pair does not, and the wire > pair could change while the phone number does not.

My Verizon account number was NPA-NXX-XXXX XXX XXX X where those last seven digits were 616 005 1 - and it was the same before I changed my BTN. That's probably the switch port that I was assigned to.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.