Re: Verizon Plans to Offer "Naked DSL" on 4/5 of its Wirelines

R Coll>> "Verizon expects "that in the not-too-distant future that you will be

>> able to get Verizon DSL without getting Verizon phone service," said >> Tom Tauke, Verizon executive vice president for public affairs and >> communications. "It's a technological issue, it's not a marketing >> issue." > Bull. > It's a marketing issue. It's a monopolistic > big-telco-doing-whatever-they-want-to issue. There is no technological > requirement for there to be a dialtone on the same line as DSL, and > no, I'm not talking about SDSL, I'm talking about ADSL which usually > must be bundled with POTS service.

In Australia there is (in theory) a way of getting ADSL from one provider with "dial tone" from the incumbent telco (Telstra), it's called the "Spectrum Sharing Service" (SSS).

There is also the "Unconditioned Local Loop" (ULL) where the incumbent telco will just charge for the pair to your home from the exchange, and you can then get xDSL from whoever has equipment in the exchange.

I don't think there has been too much take up as yet of these services, but a fair few ISP's are installing their own DSLAM's in Telstra exchanges at this moment.

There are some links to FAQ's and technical info here for anyone that's interested:

formatting link

Regards,

David Clayton, e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@XYZ.myrealbox.com Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. (Remove the "XYZ." to reply)

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Reply to
David Clayton
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.