Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?

I have already read and seen that there are cables/adapters that

> go from USB to DB-9. That would allow you to connect your standard > serial console cable as you normally would. I am trying to find a way > to eliminate this. > I would like to buy/make a cable that will have a USB connector on one > end and an RJ-45 on the other. I'm not sure if it is as easy as > cutting off a connector on the usb and just terminating the RX/TX/GND > like you can do with a serial cable (DB-9).

Most of the ones I've seen have the electronics that "convert" USB into RS-232 embedded in the DB-9 end of the cable, so lopping that off would give you a useless wire.

I know there may be some issues with going from USB to RS-232 > signaling and I could always build some kind of breakout box in the > middle. > Any thoughts?????

It's probably simpler to get a passive DB-9 to RJ45 adapter and plug that on the end of a USB to DB-9 cable.

James Carlson, KISS Interop Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive 71.234W Vox +1 781 442 2084 MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757 42.497N Fax +1 781 442 1677

Reply to
James Carlson
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.