Re: USB to RJ-45 Console Cable?

I have already read and seen that there are cables/adapters that

> go from USB to DB-9. That would allow you to connect your standard > serial console cable as you normally would. I am trying to find a way > to eliminate this.

Those boxes have a lot of electronics inside them, basically one FPGA that is programmed to do all the conversion.

I would like to buy/make a cable that will have a USB connector on one > end and an RJ-45 on the other. I'm not sure if it is as easy as > cutting off a connector on the usb and just terminating the RX/TX/GND > like you can do with a serial cable (DB-9).

No, it's not even close. This would be like transplanting a dog's head on a human being. It takes a good bit of glue logic, and I suppose you could build all the glue yourself with TTL but you'd wind up with a big expensive box full of stuff.

What is wrong with the USB/RS-232C interface boxes that you don't like? Can you just put a serial card in your machine?

--scott

"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I'd feel very sorry for the dog, if the animal lived through it all. PAT]
Reply to
Scott Dorsey
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.