Re: Urgent Help Needed With Internet Explorer IE 6.0

Using Mozilla I went to a download site (supposedly 'free downloads')

> and paid for a password to download an entirely new copy of Internet > Explorer 6.0 and Outlook Express. Downloaded it, but still nothing ... > I am wondering if it is because my index page (I was using 'my yahoo' > as my home or starting page) somehow got wiped out.

Uhhhh ... you wasted your money

formatting link
IE 6 is available from this site, it's the actual software and it won't cost you a cent.

Can you tell me WHERE to install a new 'index' page ('Documents and > Settings/Administrator/something? so I can try that method to clear > this up? Or got any other ideas? And where would I go to make mail > and all the other links default to mozilla rather than IE?

You can make web links default to Mozilla by clicking Tools|Options in Mozilla, clicking General, and looking for the option that makes Mozilla check whether it's the default browser.

Microsoft tech support cannot help me because I have an OEM serial > number.

That's right, they don't support OEM copies of windows. The Original Equipment Manufacturer (the company that built your computer) does; call them.

So I am seeking tech support from the readership here. If > someone will send me email who can help, I will supply that person > with an 800 number to reach me at by phone so it will not cost them > anything to call me, and I will be right at the affected computer to > follow their instructions. Thanks very much!

I'd try download> I think I would be inclined to try this one: Microsoft® Windows®

Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) Here's a pointer to it: >
formatting link
> What I'd suggest is going to Disk Cleanup and removing Temporary > Internet Files. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I did that also ... it is incredible > how many files build up in the computer after just one or two days. > PAT]

I just cleaned up a Temporary Internet Files directory yesterday, where the user had the cache set to almost 600 MB. Go to Tools|Internet Options in IE, look for the temporary file settings in the middle of the page, and click the Settings button - the default is probably to use quite a bit of space for temporary files and can safely be adjusted WAY down.

Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Company website:

formatting link
blog, resume, portfolio:
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.