Re: Change MAC Address Can Change IP Address of a Machine?

> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is

>> assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the >> MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept? > No. Your IP address has nothing whatsoever to do with your MAC > address.

If you're using DHCP, an IP address X is assigned to the card with MAC address Y and changing the MAC then renewing your lease is almost guaranteed to change your IP address. If the DHCP server is set to assign a static address to your computer, it does so by associating the static address with the MAC address.

Your ISP assigns it from their pool of available addresses. > On my tiny network, when someone plugs in a new computer, it just > assigns the lowest numbered unused IP address.

Yes, but while you have that address it IS associated with your MAC address. I think we're discussing two different OSI layers, though.

Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Company website:

formatting link
blog, resume, portfolio:
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Reply to
Steve Sobol
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.