Re: [Telecom] Europeans hang up on fixed lines

Almost a fifth of European households use a mobile as their only phone,

> reveals research.

Let's remember historically Europe had horrible traditional land line phone service. For them, mobile is a huge improvement.

How is the quality of cellphone service in Europe compared to U.S. quality? How does cost compare? Compatibility to different E.U. countries and elsewhere?

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Thirty years ago I would have agreed. Landline in western Europe now works just as well as landline here.

Much beter. Most Europeans don't even know what a dead spot is.

Considerably higher. The main reason is that they all use caller pays billing so that inbound calls are "free" to the mobile user but costs 25 cpm or more to the caller. (Unless, as a dozen people will doubtless point out, they happen to have a mobile phone on the same network which offers free or cheap intra-network calls.) You can buy prepaid phones very cheaply so they're very common, so common that in some countries there are more phones than people.

The numbers I've seen say that the average per minute cost in the U.S. is

8-10 cpm, in Europe about twice that. That's probably a big reason why SMS took off there, since SMS are cheaper than calls.

Fabulous other than with North America and Japan. Europe is all GSM, all phones work everywhere, both prepaid and postpaid, albeit often not cheaply. For example, my UK prepaid phone works great in Ireland, but at

50p per minute (about a dollar) I don't use it much. International roaming rates were so high that the EU recently forced the carriers to reduce their roaming rates from outrageous to merely high.

European phones work in North America if they are tri- or quad band, again not cheaply. I think my Swiss phone charges about $4/minute.

R's, John

Reply to
John L

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.