Re: Surveillance Cameras More Common Everyday

Here is one on Times Square:

formatting link
Refresh as needed.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The one you mention, and three or four other cameras are used at Times Square (34th and Broadway if my memory is correct) in the program Webcam Watcher, an interesting piece of software for Windows. Independent people, with web cams at fixed locations, donate the output from the cameras for use by voyeurs on the net who like looking at things. The writer of the Webcam Watcher program has a directory of about _three thousand_ such locations all around the world. He gives you thumbnail images of all of them on your screen; allows you to manually choose any of them, or have the program function like a 'scanner' (doing a big image) of one after the next, just like a radio scanner operates, working its way to the end of the line and starting over again. If a repretoire of three thousand images seems a bit much to deal with, you can also select a smaller number from the indexes of same, or the thumbnails and concentrate on just those; for instance, those cams active in the past minute, the past five minutes, etc. Some are in constant operation; others only snap a picture of their surroundings every hour, etc. You select the desired cams from the indexes of same, and make up your own list of what to scan whenever one or more of them takes a new picture. If your 'active scan directory' is too large, the big pictures on your screen change every second or two. If it is too small, then you can actually look at and study a picture for a few minutes before the next image (from some other location) comes through, like a radio scanner.

Webcam Watcher is _not_ intended as a sex thing at all. He has that type of cam (adult) in the master index, but they are all isolated so you can choose that kind of thing "if you like to watch" but the majority of the cams are just 'regular' scenes, such as expressway cams in Japan (some also from Georgia highways), parks and gardens; a few cams are scenes of the border crossings in Texas, Arizona and California and Detroit, MI; I have one of my weather station cam in his directory, etc. There is one of the ships going through the Panama Canal, some absolutely stunning cam images of mountain tops in Alaska and Wyoming, etc, people's homes, school classrooms, about a dozen cams in New York City (including the several in Times Square), Chicago, San Francisco, etc. I get sort of depressed using the program, since there are so many absolutely delicious views of absolutely wonderful cities and sites I would dearly love to be young enough -- and well enough -- to to visit and see in person, but I know I will never get to see in person, a beach in Australia, or a coffee house in Indonsia for example. If you have a cam with a public display you welcome people viewing, _and you have the WebCam Watcher program_ consider adding the locations of these files to the directory he updates from time to time. Just Google for 'Webcam Watcher'. He has both free and paid copies of the software. PAT]

Reply to
FrazNor
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.