Cameras: low cost?

Anyone have a suggestion on low-cost video cameras that can be accessed (view, not necessarily controlled) from the internet? I'm hoping for 3 or 4. I don't need to view all at the same time, but it would be good if I could switch from camera to camera to see what's going on.

--------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------

------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------

-= Get GrabIt for free from

formatting link
=-

Reply to
Les
Loading thread data ...

You can make a simple analog cam video switcher connected to a capture card, and use a webcam program to view it over the net. I've goy some info below if you know how to solder.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

formatting link
Axis makes several pretty good web-based cameras. also, check out Panasonic's web based cameras. both use a small Linux server to manage the web controls.

I'm not a dealer. I think they start in the mid-high $100's and go up from there.

hope that helps.

ejm

Les wrote:

not necessarily controlled) from the internet? I'm hoping for 3 or 4. I don't need to view all at the same time, but it would be good if I could switch from camera to camera to see what's going on.

Reply to
ohno

formatting link
Axis makes several pretty good web-based cameras. also, check out Panasonic's web based cameras. both use a small Linux server to manage the web controls.

I'm not a dealer. I think they start in the mid-high $100's and go up from there.

hope that helps.

ejm

Les wrote:

not necessarily controlled) from the internet? I'm hoping for 3 or 4. I don't need to view all at the same time, but it would be good if I could switch from camera to camera to see what's going on.

Reply to
ohno

Do you know which Panasonic camera uses Linux? I have one Panasonic (no Linux) and it's not bad. I've heard good things about the Axis. I also have a D-Link (802.11B only no security!) and I have a wired NC1000 which runs Linux but I can't find the kernel (GPL violation)!

Reply to
Neil Cherry

(view, not necessarily controlled) from the internet? I'm hoping for 3 or 4. I don't need to view all at the same time, but it would be good if I could switch from camera to camera to see what's going on.

For $85-130 + shipping, one can get a video IP server that allows you to connect up to four composite/NTSC video cameras and view them singly, round-robin, or all at once using a web browser and includes simple motion detection.

Most seem to be variations on the Aruca Electronics 9100a including superseded (v2.34) hardware versions that cannot be upgraded to v2.37 firmware:

formatting link
?from=R40&satitle=video+ip They are small enough to fit inside the case of the surplus Samsung GV-MUX16TC 16-input video multiplexors some of us in comp.home.automation purchased.

I have one on order but no hands-on experience yet.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Seems to be made by Aviosys

formatting link

They also have a version with BNC (not RCA) inputs.

formatting link
And other interesting IP-based I/O devices for monitoring (temperature, fan speed, 16 DIO, etc).

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
MFHult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.