Re: Question About "Network Interface" Phone Jack

After living in the same place in New York City for years, I recently

> moved to another place (also in New York City). The room I moved to > has an existing phone jack but it looks different from the old > square-ish ones I'm accustomed to. (The old ones consisted only of 4 > term> Network Interface > *Caution > Disconnect plug from this jack during installation and repair > of wiring. > *Testing > Plug working phone directly into this jack. If phone operates, > fault is in wiring. If phone does not operate, call repair > service. > When I opened the case, I noticed that the red and green wires (the > only ones that will be actually used by the telephone itself) are also > connected to a little circuit board whose most conspicuous component > is a yellow cylinder-shaped object (about 3/4" long and about 3/8" > diameter) with the following markings ... > 250V > TI > 0.47 MFD > +/- 10% > * What is the purpose of this circuit board? > * Is it really necessary? (How come the old-fashioned jacks > didn't have this?) > * What if I were to disconnect it? > Also, when I looked inside the jack itself (the hole where you would > plug the phone into), I noticed there's some strange-looking gunk > inside. It's clear-colored and has the consistency of rubber cement. > * Is this something that's supposed to be there? > * What is it used for?

The capacitor is probably part of an RF shield on the jack. The goo as an anti-corrosive gel. Copper and brass and all sorts of metals corrode over time. This prevents the jack from getting gunked up.

Reply to
Tony P.
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.