Re: Phone Call Routing

To date, no one has been able to explain this to me. I'm not afraid of Google, I have a hunch no one really knows how this works, in fact for all the reasons Lisa identified (thanks Lisa), it has become a remarkable feat to get a call connected.

Part of the answer seems to be: Neustar, it seems they serve the same role as a ICANN plays regarding IP addresses and domains. I've sent a note to Neustar to see what service they offer to end users wanting to protect one of their important assets - their phone number. Ultimately all I'm really after is the knowledge that is required to help our clients get their number back if they sign with a Norvergence, then find 1/2 their inbound calls aren't making it through to order entry.

>> The switched public network has been around in its present form >> since the 1950s. There has been huge amounts of material published >> on the technical workings of the telephone system > Actually, the question is very reasonable. Since the 1980s the nature > of the public switched network has drastically changed and much of > that material is obsolete. Here's why: > 1) Expense: The "trunk" (physical connection) between two central > offices was extremely expensive. It consisted of (a) switchgear on > the front end, (b) the physical wire, and (c) switchgear on the rear > end. Accordingly, trunks between offices rationed and carefully > planned -- just enough to meet demand but not more so. The phone > company worked hard to maximize capacity of the physical wire (carrier > circuits) and switchgear. > But after the 1980s the costs dropped dramatically. The head and > rear terminal equipment became cheap. Fiber optic with very high > capacity replaced copper and coax. Suddenly capacity was not a big an > issue anymore. Everything was so cheap there could be waste. > 2) Politics: The old model had the Bell System handling everything. > The 1983 model had the local Bell companies handing off toll calls to > dedicated toll carriers (AT&T, MCI, Sprint, etc.) > But further deregulation allowed local companies access, too. Bell > (that is, successors to Bell) might own the physical line between your > house and the C.O., but once inside it was immediately handed off to a > new company that did the switching instead. (Bell had to spend a > fortune building extensions to C.O.s to house lockable rooms for new > switchers). > Non-Bell companies might lease lines and switching from Bell or own > their own. Bell might lease stuff from non-Bell companies, indeed, > they often now sub-contract out repair and installation work. (If you > see a plain truck with a small stick-on Bell company sign instead of > fully painted, that's probably a sub contractor.) > 3) Many people use their cell phone or cableTV phone as their line. > The routing is completely different for those systems. > 4) New services: We have new stuff like DSL and FIOS. > So, the question of routing methods today is quite reasonable and > realistic. With so much deregulation, it is also relevant to know if > a given carrier, even a "main" one, is good to use. >> You would learn a lot more my doing a bit of research > Where would you suggest to research to get _current_ information > appropriate for a lay person?
Reply to
John Schmerold
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.