Not able to browse network

I have a strange problem: I use a D-Link DL624 router with three computers connected to it. One is running Windows XP Pro and two are running Windows Milennium. All three can connect to the internet, but none of them can browse the network. All three have file and printer sharing enabled and have a directory defined as shared. All three are using Zone Alarm, which is set to recognize the local networt as a trusted zone. Since the problem is common to all three machines, I think that it is a router problem. I moved recently and the router has been unplugged and reset. I went through the settings, but can't see anything that will be the culprit. Will appreciate any ideas.

Colin

Reply to
Colin
Loading thread data ...

I would suggest you try disabling ZA first to see if that causing the problem. Uncheck the 'Load ZA at startup' option and reboot your system so ZA isn't running, do that on all three PCs and check if they can see each other. Can you ping each machine from the others?

Post again with the results.

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

Networking between OS's can be a bit tricky. Just Google for items such as 'XP ME network' and see what you get. There are many articles with tips on getting it to work.

My parents have 3 computers (2 XP, 1 ME) with a DI-524. After a bit of tweaking, they talk to each other fine. They all have ZoneAlarm basic installed.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

phoenix wrote in news:1sv8s66gvk1wj$. snipped-for-privacy@phoenix-systems.uk.com:

Thank for the advice. I discovered that Zone Alarm on the XP system did not recognize the local network and was identifying it a "Internet". As soon as I set it to "Trusted" the problem went away.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Glad you've fixed it. :-)

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.