Got my DVS2400 to call me but no annunciation...

Hi there,

I've programmed my Linear DVS 2400 to call me when the alarm goes off, but when I answer the call there is no message at all. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? It pretty good even like that since I can see the number on the phone, but I think it should say something! The instructions don't go into too many details.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
DeanB
Loading thread data ...

Do you speak 4x2 or CID?

As far as I can tell from the manual, that panel does not speak English. So, yes it will dial any number, but that's all its going to do...dial it, and unless the call gets answered by the proper handshake it's gonna just hang up after a while.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Ok thanks for the info. Do you have any recommendations, for example is it possible to just listen in to hear what's happening? Or press 9 to hang it up and stop it calling me? Any other hacks?

Reply to
DeanB

I meant to say listen to the unit's microphone to hear if the alarm is going off or if someone is there (stealing stuff)?

Reply to
DeanB

That part's handled by software. The panel needs a valid handshake before the communication process can be completed. There are no "hacks". With some of the newer Ademco and DSC panels, you can option a "pager output". Most of the Linear stuff I've seen isn't what you'd call "top of the line" anyway.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Referring to the online manual it says there is a pager number you can program into the system. Again I'm not very familiar with this stuff but can that be used in any useful way?

Reply to
DeanB

Here's the manual for reference in case anyone was interested:

formatting link

Reply to
DeanB

Most of those pager formats are old and you MAY be able to get them to work if you have a pager...who has them any more?

No you won't be able to get it to stop dialing unless it hears a kissoff signal from the receiver, or it cycles out...usually it's 10 tries (could even be 10x dtmf, 10x pulse) but dunno about that toy and usually the amount of times it tries is not programmable either.

Then when you get home you'll have to clear a fail to communicate.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

And what would you do then?

Oh, I get it. You want to be prepared by knowing in advance that you've been burglarized, rather than waiting until you get home to discover it.

Reply to
Jim

com...

Crash -

Yes, all what you say makes sense. I wish there was a way to stop it calling, but realistically once its set up ok it should only call me when there is a real alarm. Then I can choose what to do then and there (police, neighbor, etc).

I did manage to connect using an external phone line, and I can arm the alarm and read its status quite easily using touch-tones. Even works on OOMA.

Just wish I could get it to call me just the once!

Cheers!

-Dean

Reply to
DeanB

Other problems would be...it may call you on a trouble or daily test...so how will you know?....call the police for a low battery signal or a missing point? You'll be creating nuisance alarms for the PD - and false alarm fines for yourself.

Look into adding a voice dialer if this is really the route you want to take.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

ps.com...

You mean a voice dialer that is set off with the automation? I was considering this, if its available. The automation can be set to come on only when the alarm is tripped. I would want something to call me, but only the once. Any recommendations?

(BTW on this system, you can disable reporting of trouble codes and maintenance issues such as batteries, and have it ONLY call in a real alarm situation).

Reply to
DeanB

I don't recommend voice dialers, so couldn't tell ya.

They probably won't tell you anything other than Burglary...or Fire...or whatever, I don't think you'd get any specific zone info from a dialer...

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Note: I have a financial interest in the issue since I sell this stuff. There are several models of voice dialers which we carry. I'll include a link below.

Before buying or using voice dialer you should carefully evaluate the strengths and drawbacks. One advantage is you don't have to pay for monitoring service. On the down side, voice dialers are not as secure as monitoring service since they don't usually call a place that is manned 24/7. You can NOT use them to dial 911 although your local police / fire department MAY allow you to program in a regular phone line at the town dispatch center. If you want to do this, verify it's permitted before you use one.

I have a fair number of clients who have opted to do their own monitoring using voice dialers. In locations where police response to alarms can take a long time they may be more appropriate than conventional monitoring. Some of our customers have installed systems to monitor remote vacation homes where the concern is more about getting a maintenance person out for a water leak or furnace failure (moisture, temperature sensors, etc.) rather than calling in a burglary. You can also use them with some systems to call you when the kids get home and disarm the alarm. Voice dialers are handy for many other non-emergency situations.

I don't recommend them for fire alarms since rapid response is critical. For burglar alarms you need to consider how quickly you may be able to respond or to get the authorities to do so. In most cases a professional monitoring center will be able to handle such calls better or at least faster. I say "most cases" because there are a few firms with a history of poor performance. I'll leave it to others to say which ones. :^)

If after considering the above as well as comments from other participants here you are still considering using a voice dialer, you might want to browse the selection we offer online.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Robert - thanks for the info - your link has some interesting items. What I want is a dialer that I can program how many times it tries to call me, and that is set off by my alarm system (Linear 2400). I'm not sure if it has to use the automation function, or some other part of the system. Ideally I want to use the automation to flash a light during the exit delay AND when the alarm has been triggered (until I disarm it). Basically I want to be able to see from outside that the system is arming, and also see when I come home whether the alarm was tripped before I go into the house. Can you recommend something?

Reply to
DeanB

Great reply, Robert!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Reply to
Jim

I did a "virtual drive" by your new home this morning. It's a nice looking place. I really hope you got rid of the ADT signs. :-) That's a awesome feature of the new Google maps by the way.

Reply to
Frank Olson

=BF=BD:-) =EF=BF=BDThat's

Did the same thing to you, but all I could see was stacks and stacks of counter tops. Front yard, back yard .... man .......... all OVER the place. Are you SURE you don't work behind a counter?

You and Jim would make good neighbors. Alarm panels and counter tops.

Reply to
Jim

That was the neighbor's yard. Mine's the one with the stacks of paper hats.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Ahhh yes. The hats that say "Would you like pie with that order?"

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.