Re: Lingo Phone Can't Port Number

Their web site has an email address to use for number transfer issues,

> so I sent them an email. > I will be surprised if they respond because they never responded to > emails I sent with questions before signing up. I will try them on the > phone. > Vonage was able to transfer my neighbor's number from the same local > phone company. > An update: I just spoke to Lingo. The CSR was very nice and professional. > He said my local phone number is "outside the Lingo service area, and > can not be ported at this time." I live in Wake Forest, a suburb of > Raleigh, NC, not some backwoods location. > He had no indication when it might be in their service area. > I told hime that if they could port my number I would prefer to stay > with them even though they do not answer emails and also inspite of > their unwillingness to disclose portability of my number prior to > signing up for service. > He said I would need to call their Cancellation Number Mon. - Fri. in > order to arrange to return my box and get a refund. > So, looks like I will be doing that and going with Vonage. > I really hate it because Lingo includes Western Europe. > Rik Rasmussen > Radio Systems Manager > City/County of Durham, NC > 919-560-4175 x 244 > 919-560-4400 fax >
formatting link
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But this 'neighbor' of yours: Is he > also in Wake Forest, or Durham, or Raleigh, or Research Triangle, > or where? Didn't you say neighbor was on the same phone exchange? > PAT]

So what?? It doesn't make any difference even if the neighbor is _next_door_ "not all VoIP companies are created equal", to paraphrase a trite remark.

To 'accept' a ported number, you must have physical presence _on_the_PSTN_ in the area of that number.

Lingo apparently does not have a 'local presence' anywhere close enough to Durham to service him.

Vonage, on the other hand, does have a suitable local presence -- apparently.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.