Re: Cell Phone Extenders?

>> If you buy a cellphone and contract for service for that cellphone

>>> with a licensed carrier, then that carrier's license covers the >>> operation of the phone you activated with that carrier. You can't >>> then go out and use other phones under that contract without the >>> carrier's consent. >> An interesting theory, although clearly nonsensical with GSM phones. > With GSM phones (if not locked), you would be contractually allowed to > use any compatible (i.e., proper band for the country at issue) GSM > phone with the SIM chip from your carrier.

Well, as it happens, I have a GSM phone from Cingular, and the contract says only that I am responsible for the installation and operation of my phone, and that they may reprogram the roaming table. It doesn't say anything about being required to use the phone they provided or anything else along those lines. In fact, I've moved the chip from phone to phone lots of times and nobody cares.

Regards,

John Levine, snipped-for-privacy@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies", Information Superhighwayman wanna-be,

formatting link
Mayor "I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

PS: Why do people insist on making up "facts" when it's so easy to go and find out what the situation really is?

Regards,

John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711 snipped-for-privacy@iecc.com, Mayor,

formatting link
Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

Reply to
John Levine
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.