How do I get a specific toll-free number [telecom]

I have a specific 7-digit number I want to "own", with no preference for the prefix (800, 888, 877, whatever). Anyone have experience with securing a specific number? Thank you!

Reply to
rossman
Loading thread data ...

In article you write:

To save time, call 800-number, 888-number, 877-number, 866-number, and

855-number. With any luck, one of them will go to a reorder so you can just contact your favorite toll-free vendor and ask them to get it for you. More likely, they'll all be taken, in which case you have to negotiate with one of the current owners to see if they're willing to sell it to you.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

There are several telco sales sites that will lookup to see if a given

8xx number is available, such as

formatting link
or
formatting link
Then you would contact whatever telco provider you'd like (that can order and provide whatever service you want on the number). Many LECs if they can't be the direct resporg do already have relationships with those that are resporgs and can obtain the # for you and forward it or whatever else you want done. (ie. my 800 #s are this way, my CLEC I get service from isn't the direct resporg).

I see the second link does give you the resporg for the #. But in my experience trying to contact the resporg to give up a number that is reserved but not in active service won't get you anywhere, although I suppose you can try.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.