FAQ: Where do I get a list of local phone numbers?

Surely this has been asked and answered but I'm not finding it. I just want to get a list of exchanges that are local to ours (765-497) so that I can set up Asterisk to recognize those numbers and permit

7-digit dialing of them. (I tried requiring a prefix. That didn't go over well with my wife.)

Is there somewhere online where such lists are maintained?

Thank you.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird
Loading thread data ...

The first thing that comes to mind is your phone book. Ours has them listed in the front of the book.

Reply to
IBNFSHN

Lafayette, In? Verizon? Check the web pages.

formatting link
kind of hard to use, but it looks like you have more to chose from than you need ;-)

SBC provides this one for my area:

formatting link
returns a simpler list.

Reply to
dold

This one is my favorite:

formatting link
Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

That is an information-filled site. I wonder where the "Local Prefixes" comes from. That was a secret for some ILECs, simply mileage based for others.

Reply to
dold

That URL's a scam to sell tool plans; it bombs on local calls....

It's a PITA to find out what is local; in MD you can get a prefix list but it's like pulling teeth.

Reply to
David Lesher

That does not detail what the local calling area is!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
Joseph

Thats funny, it sure did for every prefix I tried.

Reply to
J Kelly

Maybe so, but I was able to expand the link. Try

formatting link
worked for me but, so what :-)

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Oops. Veriworthless <tm>.

If the link works, it's filled with bogus data. It's the "Local calling area", but some of the number "may be" toll.

Go figure.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Yup! I finally stumbled on to that today. It's going to take some scraping but I think that'll work. (What is it that makes these phone companies go to such great lengths to do stupid stuff with JavaScript for every freakin' app like this?)

I was hoping to find something universal that I could recommend to others. There's no master database of all of this stuff online (and free)? Oh, well.

Thank you for the help.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Well, I have the two that I use for Ohio and Michigan

OH

formatting link
MI

formatting link
Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

It did accurate lists for the three or four that I tired in SBC territory, but that's pretty easy to do in California. Almost all of the local calling areas are a 12 mile radius from the V&H coordinates of the rate center. A few are 16 miles.

Reply to
dold

Nice link, thanks!

Reply to
IBNFSHN

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.