[telecom] Museum of Telephone History at risk

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the museum except as an appreciative visitor. My wife and I frequently walk our dog past the building housing the museum. It is (or was, until recently) an actively operating AT&T facility with the museum occupying donated space on an upper floor. We became concerned upon seeing the for-sale sign appear at about the same time that the fenced parking lot went from being practically full of service trucks at night to housing only a handful of them, and a recent update on their website

formatting link
confirmed our fears:

>>>>

The Doc Porter Museum of Telephone History is in trouble.

AT&T has put our building up for sale, and we have just discovered that no provisions have been put in place to move or house our vast collection.

We currently are located on the second floor of 1714 Ashland Street in Houston, Texas, in the historic Heights area.

This space houses our wonderful collection of telephones, switchboards, instruments, documentation, books, and all the other pieces of telephone history that has taken many years to compile.

Our collection is one of the last in the country. With the closing of the telephone museums in Dallas and others, we are the one of the last in Texas, and one of only a handful in the country.

Most everyone who visits our Museum is extremely surprised and delighted by our tremendous collection of telephone history.

We are in desperate need to relocate. Any ideas? Please contact us.

We will be updating this page.

Reply to
Dave Garrett
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.