[telecom] Broadcasters Warn of Apocalypse in Dish's Ad-Skipping Service

Broadcasters Warn of Apocalypse in Dish's Ad-Skipping Service

By David Kravets May 25, 2012

Broadcasters are claiming in federal lawsuits Thursday that Dish Network's DVR service, which allows the automatic skipping of commercials, breaches copyright law and retransmission agreements.

The suits by Fox, CBS and NBC are the broadcasters' latest legal salvos against technological innovations, as those advances bring into question whether broadcasters' longstanding business model can survive the digital age.

The Dish Network litigation concerns the March introduction of what the satellite company calls PrimeTime Anytime, which allows customers to record and store about a week's worth of prime-time broadcast television. And two weeks ago, the Colorado company enabled playback of those archives without users seeing commercials.

The networks are labeling it a "bootleg" service that produces unauthorized copies of their shows and say it breaches signed licensing deals. And the consequences are dire, they warn. If the courts don't block the service, it "will ultimately destroy the advertising-supported ecosystem that provides consumers with the choice to enjoy free over-the-air, varied, high-quality primetime broadcast programming," the broadcasters told the court.

In the early 1980s, the Supreme Court ruled Americans have the fair use right to time-shift lawfully obtained content for later viewing. But that was using primitive technology like the VCR and Betamax, with limited recording capabilities. The Dish service records a day's prime time lineup from ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox and stores up to 100 hours of those shows for up to eight days - all without the broadcasters' consent.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

There is no such thing as "free" broadcast programming. There can't be: it's an oxymoron. Every boradcaster has to pay for the content they transmit, for the employees who run the tranmitters and studios and mobile trucks and satellite dishes, and for the "Talent" that stands in front of the cameras and recites the press release they just received from the ever-so-helpful spin doctors of the corporate PR machine during the evening "news".

You and I don't pay for watching television by observing insipid sixty-second dramas about perfect people doing ever-so-trendy things in ever-so-trendy clothes while mouthing every-so-trendy buzzwords and always putting the product center screen. That's not how we pay for "free" programming.

The cost of television, as my brother so aptly pointed out to me many years ago, is that all the problem are solved in sixty minutes with time out for commercials. The cost of televsion is, as sociologists have discovered, that the economic underclass believes that middle class people all have new clothes, and new cars, and beautiful homes and beautiful wives and carefree lives that never demand they make hard choices or sacrifices.

The cost of television, in short, is that it has drilled itself into our consciousness like some succubus that will steal our souls as it feeds on our innocence and deprives us of the chance to see the world with our own eyes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Per Monty Solomon:

One solution to their problem might be commercials that most people do not want to skip.

Seems like there has already been a trend in that direction over the past several years - although I personally haven't watched more than 20 seconds of *any* commercial in a lot longer than that... the snippits I see look more entertaining and less intrusive.

Understood that automated skip is qualitatively different from fast-forward.... but people still have to explicitly invoke it.

A long time ago, when we used to go to Germany every year or two, I observed that the commercials there were all run back-to-back early in the evening. No shows... just continuous commercials. State-run TV, I guess.... But when I brought it up, wondering who on earth would watch them, people said "Sure, people watch the commercials... they're entertaining..." And they were....

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

But never for longer than ten minutes, right?

Until the mid 1980ies, there was no alternative. Which was good. Since private-run TV is here, the programs have changed to cater for a significantly less intelligent audience.

Even today, Commercials are packed up up so that a show is never interrupted more than twice (three times?) in an hour.

Greetings Marc

--

-------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! ----- Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " |

formatting link
by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 621 72739834

Reply to
Marc Haber

The paradigm goes back to the earliest days or radio when it ceased to be just a hobby and became a commercial power house.

When we visited in the Bahamas many years ago Bill Paley (and many others) had a listed telephone number in the very excluive millionaires' section of New Providence.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

This is an excellent and important point.

A viewing of old VHS tapes recorded in the early 1980s reveals less commercial content than now, roughly 5 to 8 minutes more commercials per hour.

I understand newcasts have been reduced from 22 minutes to 18 minutes.

Cable TV providers claim they must raise basic rates 3% every year to pay for programming received from 'free' channels, e.g. USA Network, LifetimeTV, ABCFamily, AMC, Comedy, etc. But programs on these channels are still loaded with commercials, with even more than on traditional broadcast TV. So, the viewer is paying twice. Why is that?

IMHO, there hasn't been any improvement. At certain times, some of the commercials are horrendously bad, such as blaring ads by lawyers to get money for medical malpractice or adverse drug reaction. Or for rather suspicious life insurance or health care services. (How does _anyone_ 75 years old qualify for life insurance 'no questions asked')?

In the old days people would use the bathroom or other tasks during commercials. Commercials used to be evenly spaced throughout a program. But now, to discourage bathroom breaks and hook the viewer in, they keep the first 20 minutes commercial free, then load up the last end with roughly five minutes of content and five minutes of commercials, but not evenly spaced. They also announce "we'll now return to" but then show more commercials, so you'll run out of the bathroom.

If my own choice was to watch TV as aired with its many awful commercials, I couldn't watch. Indeed, I get edgely in waiting rooms these days since so many have a blaring TV set. (They told me doctors' offices can't have magazines because they spread germs--is that true?)

It gets very confusing for the consumer as to who pays for what. The traditional broadcasters complain, the cable companies complain, the satellite companies complain. Who does a consumer believe? I can't help but suspect they're all making tons of money.

Reply to
HAncock4

On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:59:30 -0700 (PDT) HAncock4 wrote:

I assume by "'free' channels," you're referring to programming carried on the basic tier, and for which there is no extra incremental charge beyond the basic-tier monthly fee.

We've discussed this issue before. Here's a quote from a message I posted here in July 2007:

| Because the programming carried on advertising-supported non- | broadcast channels doesn't generate enough advertising revenue | to cover the cost of producing it and delivering it. If it | did, broadcast stations and networks would be carrying it, and | advertising *already would be* supporting it. | | In order to support such programming, the producers and | program suppliers have to rely on two revenue streams: | advertising and subscriber fees. This is the same business | model employed by the vast majority of print publications. | | The real significance of this dual-revenue-stream business | model isn't just the sum of the two revenue streams; it's the | way in which the two revenue streams reinforce each other: | | - Consumer revenue reinforces advertising revenue. There's | an old adage in the advertising business that "paid | advertising is worth more than free advertising." A | consumer who pays for a publication (print or video) | is more likely to read/watch it than a non-paying | consumer. | | - Advertising revenue reinforces consumer revenue. | Advertising revenue enables the producer to provide a | better product (print or video), thus enticing consumers to | spend more time reading/watching it, and, by extension, | enticing more consumers to buy the product. | | And that, of course, is why the program suppliers demand that | non-broadcast advertising-supported channels must be carried | on the basic tier.

Here's a link to my original post of 07/07/2007:

formatting link
Neal McLain Retired cable guy

Reply to
Neal McLain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.