Callcentric service still blocked [telecom]

It's been almost a month now, and my Callcentric service is still out.

I've tried a few "VPN" providers, without success: ProtonVPN, and "Perfect Privacy," among others. None of them have worked, and I don't know why. What used to be a telephone on my living room table is now a paperweight, not useful, not usable.

The news channels I watch via streaming media, such as Reuters, CBS, and even the TV station in Charlotte, show frequent gaps and buffering. NetFlix and Amazon Prime video, likewise, grow less and less usable as the noose tightens. One person, who called me from a number identified as "Galaxy Cablevision," told me that the problem could be addressed by paying for a fixed IP address. The message from Zito Media is clear, although not subtle: "Pay more."

I'm tempted to say "'Twas always thus, 'twill ever be." I'm tempted to shrug my shoulers and remind my self that the nation I fought for in Vietnam is run for the benefit of the ruling class, and admit that my skillset is now dated and (in this case) ineffective. I'm tempted to give up and put up with marginal cell phone coverage and getting- worse-by-the-day Internet service, and with having offerings that compete with Zito Media's version of VoIP being blocked and rendered useless.

Well, I may be aged but I am not yet dead, and not likely to give in.

I want to try to appeal to the government here in North Carolina, which might be responsive, given that it's an election year, even though I doubt any "solution" will survive the election. I'm trying to think of a way to catch Zito Media in the act, in the hope that having actionable evidence will curb their arrogance and trickery in the long term.

If any of my readers know how Comcast was caught blocking ports, and what means were used to gather the evidence that was used to prove those actions, please tell me. If any of you have the training and/or equipment needed to gather that evidence, please contact me offline.

Bill Horne

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Am 23.09.2022 um 16:08:31 Uhr schrieb Bill Horne:

Do you have IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity? IPv6 is faster because no NAT is needed.

There are still many IPv4-only servers that are only accessible slowly because NAT routers are overloaded, especially when using CG-NAT or DS-Lite.

Reply to
Marco Moock

I had never heard of "Cee-Gee-NAT" until Zito Media took over the local Cable TV & Internet provider: I was surprised that anyone would want to implement any more "NAT" solutions, especially with IPv4 IP addresses going for princely sums while IPv6 addresses are practically free.

But, c'est la vie: "The only constant is change." I would use IPv6 if it solved the problem, but a quick check of Callcentric's DNS records indicates that they have no "AAAA" (IPv6) addresses, but if IPv6 at my end would solve the problem even though it would have to be converted to IPv4 at some point, I'd still be interested.

I rang the Zito Media "Sales" line a few minutes ago. After I listened to a brusque recorded demand that I only bother their salesmen when I wanted to buy something, instead of "for any other reason," the man who answered listened to my civil request for a quote on an IPv6 address then transferred me to another employee who was not a native English speaker, and the second person said something that sounded like "your internet is not working, yes?" and then hanged up on me.

It took three calls, but I finally reached someone who believed that I wanted an IPv6 address: she told me that they don't offer them. However, for $10 per month I could get a static IPv4 address, and I'm going to try one and see if the man at Galaxy Cablevision can make good on his implied promise.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Am 27.09.2022 um 18:39:18 Uhr schrieb Bill Horne:

Is it possible to switch to another ISP?

Not providing IPv6 in 2022 is stone age. IPv6 is publicly routed for more than 10 years and standardized since the end of the 90s.

Reply to
Marco Moock

I really do envy you, sir: countries in Europe enjoyed the benefits of ISDN service while "Mother Bell" was refusing to offer it in the U.S., and the citizens of the European Union Could have ADSL circuits which were adapted to work with ISDN, instead of in place of it, as was the custom here in this country.

By the way, there are no alternative to the "new" owners of the Cable TV franchise here in my town: Frontier Communications, which I thought was the ILEC in this area, says they don't serve my neighborhood. Spectrum, Viasat, and TDS, ditto. There's a microwave-based ISP in Asheville, NC, but I'm not on a line-of-sight to any of their access points up here in the hills. It's a shame: they've helped out my ham radio club with preparations for emergency communicaitons, and I'd be happy to have their transceiver on one of my towers, but I've got too many hills in the way.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.