A trip down memory lane [telecom]

Thanks to the olduse.net nntp server, I'm able to bring you this message from the first days of the digest, more than thirty years ago.

- - - - - - - - -

From geoff Fri Aug 28 22:50:38 1981 Communications between the UUCP network (Usenet, UUCPnet) and the ARPAnet have been partially automated for the POLI-SCI and TELECOM mailing lists. If you are reading this message, you are a UUCPnet reader of one of these lists.

If you wish to SUBMIT an article to either digest, send it to ...!ucbvax!telecom or ...!ucbvax!poli-sci

You must include in the text of your letter:

(1) Your UUCPnet mailing address from ucbvax (if a ucbvax user were to want to mail you a letter, what would your address be) and (2) Your real name and affiliation

If you (a UUCPnet user) wish to PERSONALLY RESPOND to an article in either digest which was submitted by an ARPAnet user, send your letter to ...!ucbvax!telecom-link or ...!ucbvax!poli-sci-link and include the ARPAnet recipient's network mail address at the beginning of the letter. [This will be intercepted on ucbvax by a real person, currently the undersigned; communications unrelated to the mailing list will not be forwarded.]

If someone on the ARPAnet wishes to personally respond to an article which you have submitted to a digest, they will do so by mailing a letter to CSVAX.telecom-link@Berkeley or CSVAX.poli-sci-link@Berkeley and must include the UUCPnet mailing address of the intended recipient (i.e., you) at the beginning of the letter. [Again, this traffic will be intercepted by a person on ucbvax, and will not be forwarded unless the communications relates to the mailing list.]

Thank you in advance for your adherence to the protocol given above.

Geoff Peck (ARPAnet: geoff@Berkeley) (UUCPnet: ...!ucbvax!geoff) [current {telecom,poli-sci}-link coordinator]

- - - - - - -

(If anyone knows the original administrator or Mr Peck's current status and whereabouts, please pass them along.)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...
[...]

Bill, I'm sorry to report that Geoff Peck appears to no longer be alive.

According to these links, he died in a plane crash in 2006:

formatting link
formatting link
[Moderator snip]

-- Paul W. Schleck snipped-for-privacy@novia.net

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@novia.net for PGP Public Key

Reply to
Paul W. Schleck

Geoff was a high school friend of mine, and an experienced private pilot. Sad to say, he died in a freak plane accident on his way back from the Oshkosh plane show. We all miss him.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.