A Bully Finds a Pulpit on the Web [telecom]

A Bully Finds a Pulpit on the Web

By DAVID SEGAL

The New York Times November 26, 2010

SHOPPING online in late July, Clarabelle Rodriguez typed the name of her favorite eyeglass brand into Google's search bar.

In moments, she found the perfect frames - made by a French company called Lafont - on a Web site that looked snazzy and stood at the top of the search results. Not the tippy-top, where the paid ads are found, but under those, on Google's version of the gold-medal podium, where the most relevant and popular site is displayed.

Ms. Rodriguez placed an order for both the Lafonts and a set of doctor-prescribed Ciba Vision contact lenses on that site, DecorMyEyes.com. The total cost was $361.97.

It was the start of what Ms. Rodriguez would later describe as one of the most maddening and miserable experiences of her life.

The next day, a man named Tony Russo called to say that DecorMyEyes had run out of the Ciba Visions. Pick another brand, he advised a little brusquely.

"I told him that I didn't want another brand," recalls Ms. Rodriguez, who lives in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. "And I asked for a refund. He got rude, really obnoxious. 'What's the big deal? Choose another brand!' "

With the contacts issue unresolved, her eyeglasses arrived two days later. But the frames appeared to be counterfeits and Ms. Rodriguez, a lifelong fan of Lafont, remembers that even the case seemed fake.

Soon after, she discovered that DecorMyEyes had charged her $487 - or an extra $125. When she and Mr. Russo spoke again, she asked about the overcharge and said she would return the frames.

"What the hell am I supposed to do with these glasses?" she recalls Mr. Russo shouting. "I ordered them from France specifically for you!"

"I'm going to contact my credit card company," she told him, "and dispute the charge."

Until that moment, Mr. Russo was merely ornery. Now he erupted.

"Listen, bitch," he fumed, according to Ms. Rodriguez. "I know your address. I'm one bridge over" - a reference, it turned out, to the company's office in Brooklyn. Then, she said, he threatened to find her and commit an act of sexual violence too graphic to describe in a newspaper.

Ms. Rodriguez was shaken but undaunted. That day she called Citibank, which administers her MasterCard account, and after submitting some paperwork, she won a provisional victory. Her $487 would be refunded as the bank looked into the charge and discussed it with the owner of DecorMyEyes. A final determination, she was told, would take 60 days.

As that two-month deadline approached, Mr. Russo had dropped his claim for the contact lenses he'd never sent. But, she said, he began an increasingly nasty campaign to persuade her to contact Citibank and withdraw her dispute.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.