3G device as _primary_ residential Internet connection? [telecom]

Below is a post I put onto ba.internet and then realized I wished I had cross-posted on this group also, along with the first reply on that group. I hope it's OK to do a "delayed cross-posting" here also:

----------------------

Are there any significant number of areas or communities (esp. in the > U.S.) where cellphones or other forms of 3G devices talking to community > cellphone towers are used as the _primary_ Internet connection link for > residences, rather than DSL, cable systems, or dish systems? > > If so, is this commonly done by just going through a cellphone in the > residence, or are there modem/router units that can be installed as > fixed units for this purpose in residences? > > [I appreciate that these may be painfully naive questions; my experience > is entirely with DSL and Comcast residential connectivity, and in fact > I've never owned or used a 3G cellphone; all my mobile connectivity is > strictly laptop to WiFi hotspots.  Pointers to educational links will be > much appreciated.]]

and SVU replied:

Yes. There are places where people who can't get DSL or Cable, and don't like the limitations of satellite internet use cellular modems. I have as my primary ISP a permanent connection to Sprint's network with a USB type modem and a wireless router the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Modems come in PC Card and USB thumb style form factors. They are meant for notebook computer use mostly, but there are a number of 3G routers that support them.

formatting link
Brad Houser

***** Moderator's Note *****

Reprinted with Mr. Houser's permission.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.