Cisco device as DDNS server?

Hi all,

I'm newbie about that issue. I would know whether a Cisco device can act as DDNS server or not. My idea is similar is to build my own DDNS server like dyndns.org and similar do but I would not the names stored in the those DNS will be available to all Internet surfers, so I will not point all our spokes to those sites. Perhaps is there a software that does what I'm looking for? In that case I will move the discussion to another newsgroup.

TIA,

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

In article , AM wrote: :I'm newbie about that issue. :I would know whether a Cisco device can act as DDNS server or not.

None that I can -think- of, but Cisco has a really broad range of devices.

:My idea is similar is to build my own DDNS server :like dyndns.org and similar do but I would not the names stored in the those DNS will be available to all Internet :surfers, so I will not point all our spokes to those sites. Perhaps is there a software that does what I'm looking for?

If your clients have dynamic dns update built in (e.g., Windows XP or Mac OS-X 10.3), then any bind9 (or bind8?) implementation will do.

Cisco offers the Cisco Network Registrat (CNR) that runs on NT.

Also, if you have a recent IOS, 12.3(14)T or 12.4, then see

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

DNS will be available to all Internet

a software that does what I'm looking for?

formatting link
Thanks Walter, just few questions:

1) it seems to me that several commands perform the same acttion. It is due to accept different form of the same command, look at in the reference you posted "ip dhcp-client update dns" and "ip dhcp client update dns". I wondered as, for me, different commands (even if similar) act different actions. 2) DDNS can be used in conjunction with DHCP, but how? Where the router will find the name to associate to a particular IP kept from the available pool? Can it be specified somewhere in the config file or I was correct understanding that the client will announce its name? (I'm a newbie on DNS topics)

Thanks, Alex.

Reply to
AM

AM schrieb:

DDNS is something different than DynDNS.

DDNS is an extension to the DNS server. A DDNS Client can update the DNS records in the servers database. There are two possibilities for doing such: the DHCP/DDNS client registers it's newly leased IP address together with it's hostname and domain at the DNS server. Or for legacy clients not knowing of DDNS often the DHCP server takes over this part on behalf of the client. For e.g. Microsoft Win2k DHCP can register the lease in the Win2k DNS for AD.

There are different ways to trigger your previously defined "ip ddns update method ".

You can assign the method to an interface, so a state change will trigger the method. This works fine for me.

Or the DHCP server will trigger when a lease is acknowledged. I haven't used this feature yet.

Reply to
Uli Link

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.