Washington State Approves Sale of VeriZon Exchange Areas to Frontier [telecom]

Today, Friday 16-April-2010, the Washington (State) Utilities and Transportation Commission has approved (the Washington state portion) of the sale of most remaining GTE and Contel still retained by VeriZon exchange areas, to Frontier, with numerous conditions applied, see the following from the WUTC website:

formatting link
I have not yet read through all of this, for all of the "numerous conditions applied" details, however.

There are still two more states which have yet to approve of this transaction...

The Illinois Commerce Commission still needs to approve of the sale of the Illinois portion of legacy GTE and Contel (still retained by VZ), to Frontier. About a month ago, an Illinois Administrative Law Judge recommended that the Illinois Commerce Commission deny this request to the ICC by VZ and Frontier. But that is ONLY A RECOMMENDATION from the Admin. Law Judge, and NOT "binding" on the I.C.C.

And the West Virginia Public Service Commission still needs to approve of the sale of VeriZon's legacy (BOC) Bell Atlantic/C&P-of-West Virginia to Frontier. This might be a bit difficult to accomplish now... there is VOCAL and ORGANIZED opposition to this part of the transaction, from local and state political officials (counties, cities, state, etc), the various telecom-related unions (CWA, IBEW, etc). Some of the union... "members" ... have taken to the streets in WV and even in DC, to protest the proposed sale of legacy BOC C&P-WV by VZ to Frontier. These unions have even demanded that the FCC scuttle the entire deal, not only in West Virginia, but for all of the other states where VZ intends to sell remaining legacy GTE and Contel to Frontier.

BTW, the exchange area of Crows-Hematite VA gets it dialtone from VZ/BA/C&P-WV's White Sulphur Springs WV c.o.switch. Assuming that the WV-PSC approves of the sale of VZ' legacy BOC BA/C&P-WV to Frontier, the Crows-Hematite VA ratecenter would be included "as if" it were a part of West Virginia.

The FCC still has to approve of the entire deal before "any" of it can take effect, though. This is expected to happen (for those states which have approved of the deal), after all states have given their own decision for their own states.

Ohio approved of the deal (legacy GTE and Contel), _FOR OHIO_, several months ago, and a few weeks ago RE-AFFIRMED of their approval when some union groups appealed to the PUC-Ohio to reverse their previous approval.

Also, VeriZon and Frontier recently came to an agreement on debt and financing. I myself don't comprehend all of the details, but these can be found from doing google news searches.

Decisions (one way or the other) from Illinois and West Virginia could come during May 2010, which will be a year after the original announcement back in mid-May 2009.

The FCC will give an announcement after that, which is probably going to approve of the deal, which affects those states which approved of it for their own states.

VeriZon and Frontier expect to follow through by the end of June 2010, for those states where the deal is approved. Both telcos are already making advance preparations in operations within their own networks, as well as with connecting carriers (other ILECs, IXCs, CLECs, wireless, and other companies which have to do other business with VZ and Frontier in the affected areas).

More details on the regulatory approval history and the specifics of which states, exchanges, LATAs, ratecenters, c.o.switches, CLLIs, etc. are involved are included in previous postings that I have done on this.

Mark J. Cuccia markjcuccia at yahoo dot com Lafayette LA, formerly of New Orleans LA, pre-Katrina

Reply to
Mark J. Cuccia
Loading thread data ...

Take this with a grain of salt, but the receivers of Verizon fortune have not fared very well

formatting link
Carl, wondering what my couple of shares of Idearc are worth now :-)

Reply to
Carl Navarro

formatting link

32 cents, the same as mine!

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

formatting link
>

Also think of all the retired employees who had their retirement transfered over to Idearc. There is a major lawsuit because of that. Every time Verizon sold off parts of the company they also moved retired employees over. Having retired from GTE California, my retirement is handled by an outside company for GTE/Verizon, should they sell the rest of the California operation, mine could also be moved, but that would not happen since this area is still making huge profit for Verizon.

Reply to
Steven

formatting link
>

Hey, that's 32 cents more than mine. The Idearc stock was canceled December 31st and is totally worthless. See the Reuters artticle at:

formatting link
ET

PS - I did get a little tax break by taking my cost basis as a loss last year. Hardly worth the paperwork....

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
Eric Tappert

formatting link
>>

The new stock is trading over $40.00 share. During the spin off from Verizon we were give shares of Idearc depending on Verizon shares. The day that t he stock was transfered I converted it back to Verizon. I have done this each time I was given spin off stock and will continue to so; though I might take a look at the spin off to Frontier since they appear to have funds on hand to be able to handle the new operating areas. I have been doing work in Washington and Oregon in Verizon areas to be spun off and there is a lot of work being done to bring the latest systems on line. I remember when I had the GTE stock, the stock was always high and they had plenty of money saved to cover long slow times, but since the merger(buyout) that money has been spend, a lot going to company officers.

Reply to
Steven

formatting link
>>>

Well that makes me half hot! I didn't bother to cash out my Idearc because I got only 3-5 shares. I wasn't thinking it mattered until they went under. Who is going to publish the directories? Them, just in bankruptcy protection? They should tar and feather the guys who got big bonuses at the expense of the shareholders. It's almost enough to make me support Obama...where's the compensation Czar when we need hime :-)

I'm still holding on to the last 100 shares of my ESOP stocks in Vz converted from GTE. In fact, I think I actually got to keep the GTE paper certificates that I actually held (about 30 shares).

I think if I get issued Frontier stock, I'll cash it out. That's like buying stock in the White Star Line.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Most of mine is ESOP and several hundred are still highly restricted from sale.

Frontier got into trouble years ago, but has been pretty stable in the last few years. An old friend works for Rochester Telephone and I remember that being a test site for Stromberg Carlson.

Reply to
Steven

My recollection, which may be faulty, is that Rochester went 100% 5ESS.

Reply to
Sam Spade

They might have converted, one reason was Stromberg Carlson sold out to General Dynamics I believe and then to a European group. The only dealing I had with that type of equipment was while working in the Hemet GTE area, we had an office; Valle Vista which was West of Hemet, the office had a XY system, I had never seen one before, but after a few months I was able to work on it as I did with any step gear. I miss those days, it was a much easier world and job. Right now I pull my hair out, what little I have because I have to deal with morons who lay these offices out and the time frame they give to get them up and running. I retired once and after my 2 year contract is up I plan on doing it again.

Reply to
Steven

When I was with Southwewstern Bell we traded with GTE and one of the ones we got in exchange was Moore, OK, a growing suburb of Oklahoma City which had an XY office. When it needed expansion (which was soon) the engineers wanted to just add XY equipment to it, and wrote an estimate using W.E. prices for SxS as a guide. When Western priced it with Stromberg, the prices were out of sight and the engineers found you could repalce all the equipment with a new W.E. SxS office for less than what it would cost to add XY equipment. Which they did, and sent the XY offices to two small towns in Western Oklahoma which were awaiting dial conversion. They were in the same wire chief's area, and so they only had to train one bunch on XY. Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock

When GTE California took over CWT, there were contracts for several XY offices, GTE canceled them and move a lot of the equipment to Valle Vista, but that office also had SXS in it , which made it very interesting.

We had an office that was built to WE standards because GTE and Pacific Telephone were going to trade the South Laguna CO for Newport Beach as that area was GTE on 3 sites. The PUC would not allow the exchange and I would bet PacBell was happy because that is a very big financial center.

In Huntington Beach, we had an office that sat on the 213/714 and had 2 switches in it, one was Full Satt (213) Satt Access (714) at that time it was the only office in the US that was set up like that, it was a very good training center and also getting visitors from all over the US to see it. With the way things are setup today that is old hat, sometime

3 or more A/C in an office.
Reply to
Steven

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.