Texecom Veritas R8 early instruction manual

Does anyone have the earlier installation manuals for a Texecom Veritas R8 system that was fitted in 1996 (when the house was built)? The details of the alarm within the control panel are as follows; Printed on the PCB: TEXECOM 1995 PC009-4 Label on the chip: DF0029113 5/96 Can it therefore be deduced from these that this version of the panel was designed in 1995 and manufactured in May 1996?

I have obtained two PDF copies of instruction manuals. There are references on the back page of these instructions which are as follows: INS034-10 (dated for about 2000) INS034-12 (dated for about 2005) These are for versions of much later models and the circuit boards differ considerably. It appears some programming details also differ too.

I require to change the engineers code and without it will have to perform a reset and then it appears I will have to reprogram the system after this. I don't have the engineers code as the company who installed the system and maintained it, before I purchased the house, won't release this to me. To me its like holding me up to ransom to pay them to service the system especially as they seem to be wanting a call out fee of £150 just to visit with more undisclosed charges after they get here. And that will be before they carry out a service which they say has to be booked two months in advance and will incur another fee with additional call out fees if anything found to be wrong in those two months. Seems like they're trying to make me pay for a couple of years they missed out on a service contract.

I was also told by this company that they'd want £80 just to change the battery when they're around £20 to buy over the counter and 5 mins to fit. It was due to it having to be replaced within five years and I agree with this totally. The problem is that I changed the battery myself, after finding a workaround to silence the anti-tamper on the panel. But found that it had been serviced by this company seven years after it was fitted (the dates on the battery and a scruffy scrap of paper with servicing details) despite low voltage and ah readings noted. So the battery would not be out of date had it been changed correctly by them. recently closely watched an Engineer from the company do a service on a friends house and all he did was a walk test and only visibly looked at the battery (no test instrument used)! It hasn't inspired me with confidence over them.

When I pressed the company on why they wouldn't issue me with the engineers number I was told that I'd then have access to all the alarms they serviced. One of the very reasons I want the number to be changed as well. Good security - not! Yes, I know you still need the user code but its still not good.

Any assistance in obtaining an installation manual for my version of the alarm system will be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen
Loading thread data ...

Hi firstly as senior engineer for a reputable company in the NW it really gets my goat when people complain about cost and time. Yes a battery can be bought for under £15 and Yes it takes 5mins to fit but how far has the engineer had to travel? how did he get there? (beam in) . Whilst £100 is expensive (unless you're in London) you must apreciate traveling time cost of transport NI contributions and a whole lot more.Not to mention the persons experience, What would it cost YOU at your hourly rate to drive to a supplier pay £15 for a battery ,drive back and fit it. Then guarentee the work for 12mths?? Maybe not £100 but certainly more than £15.

Feel better now !! (apologies to others but had a hell of a day)

As for your Panel You have the "R"8 "R" standing for remote keypad ,no doupt the pdf you downloaded is the standard Texecom veritas manual. In the past 15yrs the pcbs have changed but the software is reverse engineered so most of the programming is the same.Also the R8 pcb is diferent as no keypad is onboard. You should not need any workround to change the battery just open the panel ,the alarm will go of showing tamper.Enter your user code and the panel will silence.Change the battery (check the charge fuse and charging current) close the panel press reset job done. If you need to factory default the panel follow the manual the reset has not changed. Programming is very easy and has not changed apart from extra options on later models default options are listed in the manual . If you get stuck try Texecom site

formatting link
Failing this repost and I will try and dig out an old engineers manual in pdf.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Many thanks for your reply CJ and if you could dig out the respective manual in the PDF format then I'd be very grateful for your help.

Even though I'm not allowed, and honestly never do, carry out work on gas appliances I still like all the documentation for the boiler including installation manuals. This has proved prudent in the past and I like to have all documentation to hand for reference either by myself or an Engineer.

I do take your point about the cost for a battery would be in excess of the battery itself. However if being changed as part of other work or a service I wouldn't expect it to cost much more given the time factor and the fact that they are already there. Its an item that I'd expect them to have as a stock item in the vehicle. It only took me less then 20mins to go and pick up a battery from the local CEF outlet. To be honest if someone was already there I'd expect a bit of a mark up on the battery of, say 20% (especially given they'll buy them in for even less than myself at trade) and a slight addition of labour for the short time it takes to fit it. I'd roughly estimate about £35 at the most. But had it been a specific call out just to change the battery then, yes, you will expect to pay considerably more.

Once again thanks for your reply and if you can lay your hands on the specific installation manual then it will be appreciated.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

It is a legal requirement that you are left with _all_ the instructions for a gas appliance which is installed, including the installation and servicing instructions, which you might never actually use yourself. Manufacturers are usually very good about posting out free replacements for for older appliances, and you can often find those for newer appliances on their websites. Certainly, I downloaded and read the installation instructions for all the gas boilers I was considering installing, which was part of the decision making process (one got ruled out because I couldn't easily find the installation instructions).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

GAS BOILER??? Now I'm totally confused. The Texecom Veritas series that I am familiar with are Domestic Intruder alarm Panels not gas appliances. And whilst an electrical engineer have been in the service industry all my life and can honestly say ,have never seen or heard of a Texecom Veritas boiler.

Sorry Stephen my manuals are for intruder alarms,not gas boilers and the web address I posted for same.

Bemused

CJ

Reply to
cj

I'm not surprised you're bemused as I just gave that as one example of liking to have installation manuals for all equipment including gas, electronic, plumbing, etc., etc., but then someone else picked up on the gas boiler part.

Indeed I've not heard of that gas boiler either. Valiant and Vokera are close but not close enough! Sorry, confusing the issue even more now!!

However I'm still nonetheless looking for the installation manual for the version of the Veritas R8 I have fitted which is an alarm system (and not a boiler).

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

AH!! Prefer Potterton myself or TI but ended up with a Vokera (10yrs service can't knock it) Will dig out my old Texecom files tomorrow is your newsmail adress valid so I can email it?

CJ

Reply to
cj

My preference is Worcester Bosch but there are other good ones as well including Potterton/Baxi (they're the same company now!).

Many thanks, CJ, for your assistance and I'll look forward to receiving the installation manual (on the alarm control panel!!).

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

The pre and post 2000 Veritas manuals are on

formatting link
free to download

Reply to
davy12342

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.