Wired Ademco motion detector problem

I have an older wired motion detector in my home that the sensor light is always on and will not allow me to secure that zone. Why does the sensor stay lit constantly, it never used to? Is this unit bad? Thanks

Reply to
Mike728
Loading thread data ...

Yup. Sounds like its relay is stuck. Just replace it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It could be. Have you checked your connections? If voltage falls below a certain point on most motions, the unit will "open". The most common cause for a drop in voltage is loose or bad connections (sometimes from corrosion).

Reply to
Frank Olson

I could see that if the zone was held hopen but what about the light?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Maybe. You didn't say what type of motion detector it is; I'll assume it's a passive infrared.

Take a piece of cardboard and tape it over the front window of the detector. If the red light goes out, then the unit is seeing something in the room it interprets as motion. For example, hot air blowing right on the unit. If the light stays on even with the cardboard in place, open up the unit and look for bugs or anything else that shouldn't be there. If there's no obvious explanation and the light is still on, replace it.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.