X10 wireless motion sensor recommendation

I want to control the garage floodlights when someone drives or walks towards the house. Instead of replacing the floodlight fixture with one containing an integrated motion sensor, I'm thinking of incorporating a separate outdoor wireless motion sensor. I'd place the sensor somewhere on the side of the house and hopefully it would detect motion, send a signal to my X10 controller which in turn would issue the ON command to the X10 switch controlling the floodlight. Can someone recommend a good wireless motion sensor which is X10 compatible? I'm assuming I can bypass the motion detector sometimes and just have the light stay ON when needed. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jch
Loading thread data ...

I'm still hopoing to see a recommendation for an X10 wireless motion sensor from this group. Surely someone has used such sensor and has a comment to make. Thanks.

Reply to
jch

One problem with this approach would be that the light would stay on forever unless you turned it off manually. I think you will need a more sophisticated controller than X-10 offers.

Reply to
T.D. Lassagne

Actually, the X-10 motion sensors automatically send an OFF after a user programmable delay.

formatting link
However, if the OP were to search the forum, he would find that most people find them prone to falsing.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Yes, I've read of some issues but there are at least a few motion detectors to choose from. I can't be the only person to want to control outdoor floolights with a motion detector. I'm hoping someone can recommend a particular unit.

Reply to
jch

I use MS16A ActiveEye motion sensors to turn various outside lights on. How you position them will determine your success (from my experience). If you go to the AHP CM15A message forum you can read a bunch of stuff on the subject

formatting link

Tony

Reply to
Tony Olson

X10 Active Eye, but you're going to need a transceiver and a module to control the flood light itself. (I don't know how new you are to x10 so i'm not going to elaborate on that at the moment...) You might consider the all-in-one X10 motion floodlights, which have a built in motion sensor and also respond to on/off commands from the rest of your x10 setup. But if your entire goal is to move the motion sensing away from where the light is located, that won't help.

I concur w/ Dave though.....inside the motion detectors work great, outside, they tend to false a lot. Dunno if the x10 floodlights are better about falsing or not.

floodlights:

formatting link
(not an endorsement of smarthome, you may find it cheaper elsewhere, etc etc etc)

active eye:

formatting link
not an endorsement)

the active eye's are pricier than the eagle eye, the main difference being that you can disable the dusk/dawn detection on the active eye, which is handy if you're constrained on unit code space.

Reply to
ben.parees

So the ActiveEye is prone to falsing when used outside? Is there a better sensor I can look at? Replacing the flood light would be a huge pain as it is 2 stories up and requires a 20ft ladder which I don't have and don't want to buy just to replace the unit. Thanks.

Reply to
jch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.