Trash

Well, in cleaning up and making room for the two new compact high speed CNC machines that arrived yesterday I am doing some cleaning up. Never had Ji m Rojas' inventory, but I just half filled my dumpster with old panels. Lo ts of old XL2-S/G/P/T panels went in there. Also several XL31 panels. Tho se were my work horse for middle size semi custom homes for years until FBI I sold out to Ademco. Even threw away a few XL4s. Never had a failure wit h one of those. There was still one running a whole school until they tore the school down and rebuilt it a couple years ago. Still have another one in another school. There was a perfectly functional SK Access 2000 with r eaders and cards. Gone. Some early Caddx NX8s. Lots of Ademco pulls. On es I could just convert. (Most I could convert.)

Oh, and misc panels I yanked and saved just for parts... There was a pile of those, and that's not counting the panel boxes I saved for project boxes . Man what a pile.

I still haven't brought myself to start pitching the "newer" stuff.

I'm excited to have that space back again.

Now to get into my stacks of sound, phone, and network equipment.

I thought about selling a lot of it off, but I decided that I don't want an other year of providing support for it. Especially the used stuff. What's in the dumpster is staying in the dumpster.

There are a few things I'll ebay off, but nothing I have to stand behind. Its all Buyer Beware, but nothing that is likely to turn out to be a brick.

I'm keeping all my camera stock, and a lot of current alarm parts. Why hir e somebody to do what I can do for myself. Most of the older cameras aren' t worth much retail anyway with the plummet in the price and price to specs ratio in the last decade. Nice thing for guys staying int he business is if they stay up on it they can still make money. Just have to change brand s and lines every year or so to have the best price/options to work with.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Still not sure what to do with that stack of solar panels I had for model homes that didn't have power yet. Maybe I'll use them to put a backup lighting system in the shop. Not enough watts for much else.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

homes that didn't have power yet. Maybe I'll use them to put a backup lig hting system in the shop. Not enough watts for much else.

I'm noticing around here that is seems that as the price of solar comes dow n the popularity of LED effect lighting is increasing. Pool, landscape ligh ts etc. I think I saw something about a system that uses capacitors to hold the charge instead of batteries. So that means after you buy the items the re's no further cost to run it. Cool!

I can remember back in the 60's when I got to work with my first LED's. (wh ich I guess was a new invention along with the transistor then) It seemed l ike it was just a novelty at the time. Who knew? I sometimes think about th e fact that my first foray into technology was based on devices that ran on vacuum tubes. I'd bet that less than 2 out of a 10 technical people I deal with today have ever even seen a vacuum tube, much less know how they work .

Reply to
Jim

I'm noticing around here that is seems that as the price of solar comes down the popularity of LED effect lighting is increasing. Pool, landscape lights etc. I think I saw something about a system that uses capacitors to hold the charge instead of batteries. So that means after you buy the items there's no further cost to run it. Cool!

I can remember back in the 60's when I got to work with my first LED's. (which I guess was a new invention along with the transistor then) It seemed like it was just a novelty at the time. Who knew? I sometimes think about the fact that my first foray into technology was based on devices that ran on vacuum tubes. I'd bet that less than 2 out of a 10 technical people I deal with today have ever even seen a vacuum tube, much less know how they work.

~~~~~~~~~

Makes sense, but it would need a pretty good voltage regulator to make optimum use of the CAPs. You would want to charge them up near their maximum voltage rating. I've got caps in some of my CNC machines that would take days to discharge if I didn't put a parasitic load across them. They are capabable of enough momentary current to weld doors shut if you did something dumb.

I think the cap bank to do the job would need to be a little expensive and large, but the cycle life would be quite long. I have a couple caps on the

78VDC PS on my large mill that are about 30 years old.

Chemical batteries are a lot more efficient at storing power though. Its a trade off I guess between power storage and cycle life.

Haven't really spent much time thinking through this application just yet. I've got so much other work to do. Right now I am making a "machine room" in the shop that I can air condition so I don't die working through the summer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Most of the used keypads went out in the trash yesterday, under a layer of other parts. I just saved a few as spares for my buildings and my dad's buildings. Had to check with Dad to remind myself what panels he had.

What's next... I was going to sell some duct detectors and acrylic mirrors on Ebay, but the average selling price just wasn't worth my time. I don't really want to keep them though. I am getting really jealous of my available shelf space. Dumpster it is. I've still got three NIB Starlink

3G/4G cells with data cables if somebody wants them and doesn't waste my time. $150 shipping included. One is "shelf worn" from being in my service truck. I'll just throw them in a USPS FRB. I threw away all my other spare cells. If its a pain they can go in the dumpster too. I plan for official inventory to be zero by the end of the year.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, I find what you are doing to be painful. I tried to do it a number of years ago. As I remember there was one item that I looked at and said. "Ah, haven't needed that for 15 years." So I chucked it. Two days later I had to go buy one for $15.00 or so.

I hope that you put all of your fresh shelf space to good use. :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

At the moment I am eliminating a large section of shelving so I can build a machine room on the side of the office inside the shop. I want to drop the temperature around my machines so I am less likely to fry computers. I've run the last several summers without air conditioning the machines, but these computers were never really intended to run in an Arizona warehouse in the summer. After that is done the outside walls of the machine room will get shelves again.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.