Trade mags, websites, other resources for newbie tech

Hello,

I'm just getting started in the trade (as a tech) and I have been reading back posts here - only 21,000 more to go!

I'd like to get some opinions (danger Will Robinson, danger) on several areas of the trade.

1. Trade Magazines (not to learn nitty gritty but for overview/new products & technologies)

I signed up for the following and have listed them in my current order of preference: Security Dealer Security Products SDM Security Sales & Integration Security Technology & Design Security Systems News (seems to be more business than tech)

Are there others that I should be looking at? Are any of the above known to pander to advertisers?

1. Websites I just found the forum at
    formatting link
    and am downloading the DSC and Visonic manuals to look over.

What other websites are good?

1. Of all the brands and makes out there, which ones should a new tech learn/look at first. I'm a bit confused who owns/recently bought who. I'm in Southern Nevada if region matters.

DSC Visonic Ademco Caddx Linear ITI GE Honeywell others?

Thanks!

Jay

Reply to
jay
Loading thread data ...

I prefer SDM, the tech tips and the quiz page are a good source of basics. Be cautious about what you read here, 99%bs and 1%true.

James

Reply to
J Barnes

Go to the next ISC Show (in Vegas), it's usually in January I believe. You'll get TONS of crap to carry home :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You might want to try CE Pro Magazine.

Quite diversified. In addition to alarms .... it covers some of the other related tech items having to to with audio, video, communications, LAN wiring, home automation.

Although considered by many here to be difficult to program, Napco is just about the most versatile panel available. The difficulty in programing only applies if you don't use a laptop to program. With a laptop it's real easy but keypad programing is a real bear.

Reply to
Jim

Hi James,

I'd be real interested in hearing specifically what technical information that you've read here you consider "bs" and which you consider "true".

Reply to
Jim

Hey J,

Good luck starting out. My boss was a dick and just tossed me a manual (sometimes) and said "make it work". Check out panelguides.com. You'll even be able to find some elusive radionics books there.

jay wrote:

Reply to
S. Smith

Heh heh.. My first boss handed me the Z1100e manual and said "sink or swim!"

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks Crash,

formatting link
March 27-30

Jay

Reply to
jay

LOL, hey so long as there's a manual! :-)

Thanks for the url - am checking it out.

Also back in March, Mike Sokoly posted this: ||"Remember the old Sentrol Application Book? ||Seems GE Has reprinted it and updated it, too in .pdf! ||Here's the Link to copy and Paste(It's Long!) ||

formatting link
I downloaded it and it was a great overview/intro for me.

Thanks everybody!

Jay

Reply to
jay

You mean like:

"DSC's comprehensive line of Intrusion Detection products represents a degree of excellence unparalleled in the security industry."

"Installers everywhere rely on DSC control panels, motion detectors, glassbreak detectors, central station receivers and wireless sensors and receivers when building the perfect security system."

:-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

LOL Frank, Especially stuff like that. I installed a bunch of that DSC stuff several years ago "200-300 panels" and I have had to replace most of them. It was always a different problem with DSC but it was always a Problem!

James

Reply to
J Barnes

so then they are reliable in that sense eh?

| >>>I prefer SDM, the tech tips and the quiz page are a good source of | >>>basics. | >>>Be cautious about what you read here, 99%bs and 1%true. | >>>

| >>>James | >>

| >>

| >>

| >> Hi James, | >>

| >> I'd be real interested in hearing specifically what technical | >> information | >> that you've read here you consider "bs" and which you consider "true". | >>

| >

| >

| > You mean like: | >

| > "DSC's comprehensive line of Intrusion Detection products represents a | > degree of excellence unparalleled in the security industry." | >

| > "Installers everywhere rely on DSC control panels, motion detectors, | > glassbreak detectors, central station receivers and wireless sensors and | > receivers when building the perfect security system." | >

| > :-) | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hell, we musta had the some boss!

Reply to
Ratchet442

I remember when we only had two guys that work on the alarmnet 7835c's and they both quite about a week apart. I had never worked on one before at all, had no clue! Never even seen one before. Go to the premise, looked at it, scratched my head. Call tech support and they informed me that I needed a handheld programmer. I got in my van and just sat there thinking what an arshole for sending me out there like that.

Reply to
Ratchet442

Aren't all bosses the same?

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.