Thoughts on my commercial AC (copper) alarm idea

Hi All, Just wanted to run my idea pass the group. On Aug 11, 2007 someone stole the copper on the Main Ac units for my church. This made the Aug 12th services unbearable because the temp was 101 degrees.

Although we alarm monitoring on the building & We can't afford was the company is quoting.

The neighbors around the church are very good about reporting stuff when they see it. We caught a guy because the neighbor heard him banging on something and called the police. They caught him with the coil from a commercial unit in a shopping cart.

What if I placed a security light motion detector and modify it to include a Siren that will blast when the light is on. (30 sec) The area to be monitor is inside a fence with the copper part facing the building with just enough room for a person to walk between. I could mount sensor on building and point it at an angle to where it only monitor the area between the unit and the building.

Anytime it sensed someone in that area the bell and the light would come on.

You guys think this would work?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

probably maybe it would definitely score you a ton of false alarm fines as well.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I heard mike vick's got some dogs for sale , cheap.

Reply to
Kendog

If you use a detector that's designed for outdoor use it should work. Paradox makes a DG-85 outdoor motion detector that I've used on my own jobs with decent results. If it's pointed at a fairly stable (not moving) background) it won't false.

Bells are not used much any more. Mount a loud siren high enough on the building that it can't be reached. Use an inexpensive alarm system like the Napco P816 and set it to ring for no more than

4-5 minutes and then reset.

Installing these systems is pretty simple, especially with only one "zone" (sensor circuit).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Perhaps a call to some local alarm companies might find one that would donate some used gear to help you out. There are many folks in the industry that would like to help.

Reply to
Just Looking

Please note that this person is not an installer and has no license to do so. Therefore he can't have use any motion detector on his "own jobs"

His only purpose for being in this group is to sell you equipment and he'll tell you anything that would entice you to do that.

As a result of his constant lying about what he doesn't know anything about, he has a horrendous record with his state Better Business Bureau.

See it here:

formatting link

Reply to
Jim

Sensor has a auto shutoff - I'm going to use the (30 sec setting) In other words while someone or something is in the retricted area the lights and siren will blast for 30 sec, reset and scan again. IF still there Blast again.

Ordiance (sp) in this City (Kansas City, Mo) says can't have external siren without auto shutoff. Otherwise we're OK and won't get a ticket.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

should work then. the only problem is there is no limit to the 30 sec timer...so it would still be possible to have 100 alarms a day

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Robert L Bass" wrote in news:WS_vi.5848$xc5.5 @trnddc06:

A motion light and an ELK timer circuit would a lot simpler and cheaper. all the OP wanted was to run the siren when the light went off. OR simpler still just use the test circuit on the light itself as the timer. most will give the 30 seconds that the OP wanted.

That being said, after a week of the thing going off at all hours the neighbors will quit watching and start grumbling.

Reply to
Tommy

"Crash Gordon" wrote in news:46c1aeaa$0$505$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

the neighbors will love that.

Reply to
Tommy

Reminds me of a run away I had about 25 years ago on an Ademco 1023 in a pharmacy. A lady jumped the curb into the wall, and the adjacent window shattered but didn't break. The foil would make and open, over and over, so the alarm wouldn't silence. The cop gave me his ear protectors to get near the siren speaker to shut it down. It had a 714 Blaster, one of the loudest drivers I ever used, especially when teamed up with a MPI 30. I remember it was so loud that I could feel the sound pressure in my voice box and it made tears come to my eyes.

Reply to
Just Looking

That's like the results you get when you cross a jackass with a skunk. Most of the time you just get a foul smelling donkey. But every so often you get a piece of ass that'll bring tears to your eyes.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.