checking my router

Hi,

I connected my wireless router to my dekstop PC *with a cable*. I didn't put encryption. Currently, my pc's HD crashed needs replacement and I am using my brother's desktop. So when I put 192.168.1.1 via my brother's desktop at the address bar of a browswer, I was prompted to enter user id and password. But I don't remember setting up a password.

What's happening?

Reply to
Amanda
Loading thread data ...

The user ID and password are in the manual. If you ever have to do to a

*hard* reset on the router with holding the *Reset* button down for 30 seconds or more, the router is going to set all of it's settings back to its out of the box default state. That will be the one for user ID and PSW in the manual and all other settings returned to their default settings.

You might want to look at the link and change the user-id and psw to something else, as everyone else knows the default on the router.

formatting link
BTW, in that other post about the print server, you should use a static IP on the router for the print server wired or wireless.

You don't want the print server using a DHCP IP issued by the router, because with the DHCP IP used by the print server, the computers networking with the print server will not work anymore as the are locked in the the IP the print server is using.

If for some reason that the router's DHCP server issue a new IP to the print server, the computers will not be able to find it. That won't happen with a static IP used by the print server. The *D* in DHCP means Dynamic.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Amanda" hath wroth:

You also don't seem able to remember to supply the maker and model number of your wireless router. Is it a secret? If you disclose this information, there are lists of default logins and passwords available.

Not much. I get to spend the weekend cleaning house, laundry, dump run, munching blackberries, and if I have time, maybe fix a Wiltron network analyzer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for warning me about the psw. Now I remember.

I did change user name (remember it) but I don't remember about changing pwd. So it's left at default. Actually, I wasn't interested in using my wireless router because I had only one PC and didn't want to fuss with it but a visiting friend wanted to use internet from his laptop and did the set up with me. I wanted him to help me put encryption but he was like "you don't need it". He did leave

Under "Administration" tab, along with default psw for the Router, Remote Management and UPnP were set to disable. I just change the password.

I read the above link and Step 3 talks about encryption. I should do the encryption at my place so that when I got to my sister's hosue to work on settign up her printer server, I will be able to figure out what has been on her wireless router configuration.

Is there any link for the instruction to put encryption?

Does that mean, a static IP address needs to be purchased from the ISP and use it for setting up the rpints server?

I see.

I just read DHCP Primer - about half way through - at

formatting link

So, I (my sister), needs to buy a new IP address from the ISP before setting up the print server, right?

I hate spending time on networking stuff (cus I want to study my programming stuff) and I am having to do all this thanks to my sister and I want to do it right. Oh, well.

Thanks for helping me.

Reply to
Amanda

No, it wasn't intentionally done. I am more pressed with setting up the print server for my sister than my wireless net work issue. I can just remove my woreless router and connect my PC to the modem but I should put encryption instead.

I was just trying to be over with my sister's issue - she moved to the

*rich* people area, away from everything that if I need a cable, it would take me 30 mins or more to go pick up from the nearest store. So I got busy trying to make sure about all the necessary hardware before heading to her place.

This networking stuff is not priority on my list of things to do but I am in the middle of it now. Want to be done with it ASAP.

Thanks. I found the default. I always save the manual. Just didn't remember the need to use psw.

A man cleaning house? Impressive.

Reply to
Amanda

"Amanda" hath wroth:

I know the feeling. The nearest Radio Shack store is 20 minutes away. Worse, my palatial office is 45 minutes away. So, if I need a connector, cable, or whatever, I often chose to buy a new one, rather than drive all the way to my office. It's also often easier to buy a new item, than to try and remember where I buried it. The unintended consequence is that I have a substantial inventory of duplicated junk in my office and my house. I also have a fair amount of duplicated junk in my truck.

Whenever I go on service calls, I like to take extras of everything with me. Extra routers, extra switches, extra cables, power strips, and such. I frequently sell mice, cables, power strips, adapters, keyboards, and other computer expendables.

Bachelor, curmudgeon, and possibly turning into a mad hermit. Cleaning house largely consists of recovering floor and table space by building tall piles of paper and junk.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 5 Aug 2006 09:23:10 -0700, "Amanda" wrote in :

A man's idea of cleaning:

1. Kick stuff under the bed.
  2. Kick dirty laundry into single pile.
  3. Run water in bathroom sinks.
  4. Close open p*rn magazines.
  5. Dump dirty dishes in sink.
  6. Start new garbage bag.
  7. Close pizza box on one remaining slice, and put in refrigerator.
  8. Eat rest of potato chips, wad up bag, and toss at full wastebasket.
  9. Drain left over beer cans, and crush on forehead.
  10. Use a leaf blower on dust.
  11. Turn lights down.
Reply to
John Navas

There were a lot of junks at my sister's old house - walking distance to my place - but my useless, twin sister living there is a pain. She changed the lock - she is in a losing battle competing with me:)- and it's just exhausting to call and set a time to go there when she is home. The stuff at the old house were bought by my brother (the baby) who used to live there (moved to LA). As staples and frys were closed by, he wouldn't even look for things - even for screwdrivers and stuff

- in the garage and would run to the store. Enough about the disfunctions in my family:)-

Terrible.

With my rhinitis condition (non allergic), in that kind of room, I'll be having severe sinus drainage as my body fights unknown particles during breathing process:)- I keep mimimun things at my place, minimizing requirement to dust the items. No trinkets and decorative items like most females keep.

Reply to
Amanda

Reminds me of my baby brother whom my sister (oldest one) had to literally supervise him to pick them up and put in the washer when he was living with her:)- He got married now. To be fair, he does like to cook, mainly broiling but not good with cleaning up afterward.

That's terrible.

Reply to
Amanda

Duane Arnold wrote: [..]

Thanks for the link. Reminded me how I was so concern about security a couple of year ago despite nothing too important in my PC. But privacy is important to me and I just put the encryption, easily I might add, since linksys website has made it easy. Would have gone there and look for instruction had I not been so overwhelmed with things.

Again, thanks since the link you gave me scared me enough to take an action:)- When I moved to an apartment, I will feel safe.

Reply to
Amanda

Well, you don't see about the use of the DHCP IP and static IP(s). The router itself has a DHCP server. The print server computer or device that's connected to the router will have it's Network Interface Card (NIC), yeah the print server has one too, set to Obtain an IP from the Network Automatically from the DHCP Server on the network.

In your case, the DHCP server is part of the router. So any device requesting an IP from the router, the router is going to issue one to the device.

formatting link
Now, if the the print server is set to use a DHCP IP on the router and computers that have been setup to print to the printer are locked in on the IP that the print server has assigned to it, what's going to happen if the IP changes that the print server was using, because the DHCP server on the router for whatever reason decided to give it a different IP?

Well, the computers locked in on the previous IP the print server had are not going to work anymore, because they knew about the other IP the print server use to have assigned to it.

The solution is to configure the print server to use a static IP on the router an IP that is not under the control of the DHCP server on the router. The print server manual will have instructions setting it up for using a static IP on the router.

This is an example of the DHCP server usage on any router, but I am using the one for a Linksys router. The router has a DHCP IP Issue Counter that's set to 50 on Linksys I think. It's a changeable setting.

The *default* start of the DHCP IP(s) for the router start at

192.168.1.100. If DHCP Issue count is 50, then 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150 are IP(s) that can be issued to any device requesting a DHCP IP from the DHCP server on the router. 192.168.1.151-192.168.1.254 are static IP(s), because they are not under the control of the DHCP server on the router.

The Device IP for the router, that's the IP you enter into a browser's URL line to access the router admin setup is 192.168.1.1. IP(s)

192.168.1.2-192.168.1.99 are static IP(s).

Here is an example of how to setup a computer's NIC or any device to use a static IP on the router, instead of a DHCP issued by the router.

formatting link
Yes, even the router can be setup to Obtain an IP Automatically from the ISP's DHCP server or the router or it can be setup to use a static IP issued by the ISP so that the router's IP will never change.

The static IP would be for your network the router represent, because you had a WEB server running behind the router and you wanted that public facing IP to never change, as an example foe the usage of a static IP from the ISP.

The WEB server would be using a static IP on the router and not a DHCP IP on the router so the incoming WEB traffic to the WEB server would be routed to the static IP the WEB server was using on the LAN behind the router.

What would happen to the port forwarding rules on the router you setup for WEB traffic to be forwarded to the WEB server machine that was using a DHCP IP on the rules and that IP was changed by the DHCP server?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Okay.

I see.

Great.

I just called my sister and asked her about the manual or whatever stuff that came with the wireless router she got her ISP set it up for her. She said "I have a folder; you can look in it."

formatting link
Thanks.

I will re-read your post again and the link you gave on how to setup a computer's NIC or any device to use a static IP on the router ... soon once I take care of other things I have been ignoring. I may have some question. Thansk for the help.

Reply to
Amanda

"Amanda" hath wroth:

I've been told that it isn't possible to divorce a brother or sister. I solved the problem years ago by moving far away from the relatives.

I do the same thing. Therefore, your brother is deemed normal.

Sorry. When I bought the house 30+ years ago, I forgot one important item; a garage. Without a garage, there's no place to store the junk. Therefore, parts of the house vaguely resemble the typical garage. |

formatting link
House cleaning was interrupted today by a local customer demanding that I get their DirecWay/Hughesnet dish realigned after they tried unsuccessfully to move the dish to another location (to avoid moving trees). Since there are a large number of people sharing the system, this was deemed a priority.

Bummer. You won't do well in the forest. In Feb(?), the redwoods dump tons of pollen on everything. The oaks do it somewhat later. Lots of dust everywhere. Also the acacia bushes, dust from the semi-dirt road, and general dusting from the dried clay soil. Of course the wood burning stove generates some ash dust. Some of my local friends are moving to Palm Springs because their asthma has become unbearable.

Yeah, I know. Topic drift...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

He single-handely managed to lose every tools in the house while growing up back in *SE Asia*. We had a whole set of tools that out oldest brother brought when he assembled a bicycle he bought for me during his trip to Singapore. I was 10, the baby brother was 7 1/2. The child started playing with those tool as he became a boy and by the time I finished highschool- that's 16 back there - there was no trace of any thing from that big set. His habit never got improved and I don't think it's that normal.

Nice of you.

Rather the opposite. I do very well in the forest. I don't do well with indoor pollution. Eithgty percent of household dust is dead skin from human. That needs to be removed constantly along with dust via regular but thorough vacuuming.

That's why I said mine is non-allergic. I have no problem with pollen the way an allergic person does.

I am new to this state and have heard about Palm Srping but don't know exactly where that is.

Back to topic then..

Reply to
Amanda

On 6 Aug 2006 16:27:25 -0700, "Amanda" wrote in :

Not according to my allergist, who rants about dust mites and indoor pollen, as well as chemical outgassing from plastics and whatnot.

East of LA in the desert. Effectively a different state.

Reply to
John Navas

Dust mites are really bad. Older building might have mpre of those. I seem to handle pollen a bit better than most people but only time will tell as I have been in this pollen city for only 3 years.

Chemicals are bad news for me. (Funny things is that I was a chemist.) I feel best outdoor - I can breathe better - but only when the temperature is *perfect*. A little hotter and I get headace. So very limited social life as I am required to live in a controlled environment but it has become a preference:)-

I thought so; someone mentioned the name once.

Will NEVER move to LA:)-

Reply to
Amanda

"Amanda" hath wroth:

My electric train set, Erector set, and collection of tools all evaporated over the years. You can demonstrate the effect by leaving a jar full of candies or chocolate in a high traffic area. Over a period of a few days, everything in the jar will evaporate without anyone claiming they took some. Sorry, but your brother is normal.

It was the usual problem of True North versus Magnetic North. Also, a rather bad job of setting the mounting pipe to vertical. They didn't realize how critical that was. However, I shouldn't have gone as I'm trying to sell them on the idea of getting rid of the DirecWay/Hughesnet satellite link and going to terrestrial wireless or FTTF (fiber through the forest).

I thought that dust mites eat the dead skin. What most people react to is the excretement from the dust mites. I've looked at house and office dust under a microscope and find it mostly a mixture of road dust and carpet fiber. I found plenty of dead skin, but not 80%. In one office, the dust was overwhelmingly fiberglass insulation that had gotten sucked into the HVAC ducting. I also check the remains from what computer fans collect. It's almost all carpet fiber.

Welcome to the bankrupt state of California.

formatting link
$23.5 billion in the hole and climbing. Sigh.

Palm Springs is a vacation spot and tourist trap east of Smog Angeles. The main attraction is the weather. It's hot, but the humidity is very low, so you don't really feel the heat too much. Basically desert.

formatting link
and 30% humidity at 8PM in the evening. Ugh. My friends claim that it will be good for their asthma. Dunno.

Naw. I'm bored. Ummmm.... what was the topic?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 6 Aug 2006 19:53:09 -0700, "Amanda" wrote in :

For many people -- they just don't know it.

Things have a way of coming full circle. :) What now?

Of course.

Yikes. Any idea why? Too many years in Dodge? ;)

Ouch. Where are you living?

I used to live there. Came up to the Bay Area on a "temporary" assignment. Live Of My Life then married someone else. So I stayed here. Toyed with going back (after she divorced him), but now can't imagine why.

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 19:53:47 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

In guy terms. Not in girl terms. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Who cares this is much more interesting Joan

Reply to
Joan Archer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.