Thoughts on Elk M1?

Hi,

I've been reading back through the archives of this group trying to see what people think of the Elk M1 as a security system, but I seem to see very little discussion about the Elk line of products. There seems to be a lot of talk regarding Ademco, Napco, DSC, etc, but very little about the M1.

Is that because the M1 is not considered as much of a home security product as it is home automation, or are there other reasons behind it? Does it work well as a home security product? Does it provide for cellular/IP monitoring?

Thanks for the info!

Eric

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Eric B.
Loading thread data ...

Hi Eric,

Most of the folks here don't do a lot of home automation so the ELK-M1G isn't a major concern. A few of us are familiar with it. I sell it regularly online though I don't install anything any more. I've taken ELK factory training on the ELK-M1G and may be able to answer some of your questions. A few of the others are also familiar with it.

As a home security system the ELK is excellent, with pretty much all the features of any of the more advanced alarm controls on the market. It of course goes way beyond security. Today I sold an M1G to a gentleman who needed burglar and fire protection plus elder care. His mother lives in an apartment he built onto his home for her. We're adding sensors to monitor the bathroom door, the refrigerator and her medicine cabinet. If any of these isn't accessed within programmable intervals an email goes to his Iphone and a voice call goes to neighbors and family members. Door sensors and motion detectors will protect the home when no one is home. When the system is off or armed in the "home" mode during daytime hours the motion sensors will do double duty making sure she's moving about every so often. If not an email goes out to her son.

Obviously there will be a period of break in as the system gets adjusted to accommodate the mother's regular habits. This is an unusual application for the system but it does illustrate some of the power and flexibility if the M1G. If you need answers to specific questions, feel free to post them here or contact me directly. If you're a dealer you can order ELK from a number of major distributors. Ask and I'll send you a list or just call ELK at

800-797-9355. They're a great company.

Oh, by the way, someone else recently asked how ELK recently got into ADI. ELK Products has formally separated from ELK's company owned distributor, Systems Depot. That was ADI's only objection. Once that was done ADI was happy to take on the line.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

It is a very good system just very pricey for what it does and not ul commercail listed which is what i am looking for as i do not do residential.

Reply to
nick markowitz

That's true about UL. The system is not intended for commercial apps. It does carry a UL residential sticker.

The price difference often gets much smaller when the project is a large home. Several times when doing proposals based on a Napco P9600 with multiple zone expanders and add-ons the M1G actually priced out lower. It all depends on the scope of the job.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

On Oct 31, 9:45=A0am, "Eric B." wrote:

Hi Eric, You obviously have looked into this a little and I do believe you will be happiest with the ELK, I do have a few words of advice for you. I have installed and maintained home, commercial and industrial alarm systems for over 12 yrs and now work for a home automation company that also installs Crestron products. I have pesonaly worked with literally dozens of different alarm panels over the years including the ELK M1 Gold. It depends on what level of security you want. If you want the system to call you with alarms and events and/or do you want to pay for Monthly Monitoring? The M1 Gold will do both. I checked out "ahomesecurity" and it looks the rest of the online budget monitoring centers out there. They probably don't have a problem signing up a system you installed, just remember to do your homework. Does the municipality you live in require a permit? any licensing and certification? check what the false alarm fee is for burglary and fire. If a volunteer fire dept shows up you are looking at $200-300 dispatching fees! From my experience most people want to make the decision to send the fire trucks or the police after they discern the situation for themselves, and if you always have your cellphone on you.... having the built in voice dialer of the M1 call you; may be all the monitoring you need. If you want a discount on your homeowners insurance; then you need to contract with a UL Listed Central Station Monitoring Facility similar to ahomesecurity, ADT, Emergency24,....etc The issues of IP monitoring and central station compatibilty are diverse. Check with ahomesecurity to see which protocols they will accept (currently the industry hasn't standardized). You may be better off purchasing a universal dial capture module from a DSC, Ademco, Bosch.... to intercept the M1's digital dialer and send it over IP to their reciever. With any system you install make sure you read the manual cover to cover and install the system to the manufacturer's recommendations, the answers to all your questions are in there you just have to do the hardwork. ELK does have a very helpful technical support staff. If this all seems a little daunting you may want to find a professional installer for the alarm portion and tackle the automation yourself. The reason you see so much about DSC, Ademco and Napco....ect. is that they are purpose built alarm systems. They don't have the built in "true automation" features of the Elk M1 Gold, built in voice dialer or software compatibility to link to your PC or Smart Phone. HAI and ELK are the only mainstream manufacturers that have integrated home security and automation into one piece of equipment. Sure you can install an automation module to any alarm panel but you will need to integrate it into a home automation system to do more than just turn on a few X-10 lights.

Reply to
karljacoboski

Actually most insurances and AHJs are recognizing the FACT that UL is just a BUSINESS that writes its own standards and verifies for a fee that things perform as claimed. That being said they are recognizing that there are other listing BUSINESSES like FM that are perfectly satisfactory to perform this function. UL is has no monopoly on standards or certifications and has no special power or authority governmental or otherwise.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That is correct. Furthermore, it makes little or no difference whether the installing dealer is UL listed. Most insurers just want to know if there is a system and if the components themselves are UL listed. I'm specifically referring to residential apps here.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I hear echos of some kind of "re-organization" that is/has taking place within UL. Don't know for sure what "caused" it, but it doesn't surprise me. They've had a long .... long ride based on a myth.I think it's like labor unions. They once had a use, now they don't. There's too many other ways to do the same thing .... only cheaper.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.