Let’s say I buy an ELK-M1 Gold panel – then what?

I am planning to buy an ELK-M1 Gold panel, to replace an old panel I have that is connected to the doors/windows/motion sensors etc. Then I would be programming the ELK-M1 to do some basic security and some automation functions. My question is: how would I go about establishing a monitoring service? If I contact a local alarm company, will they say: we have not installed the panel, we don't know how it works, and we cannot provide monitoring service for you.

Reply to
Leo
Loading thread data ...

If they don't say that, they'll want to program their own CS information into your system and more than likely ask you to relinquish the installer code during the course of your contract with them.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Try Nick Lawrence here...

formatting link

Reply to
coord

A DIY'er with an Elk M1? Nice I don't know about Elk, but many other manufacturers will not give out software to "unqualified" individuals. BUT there are some here who will do anything for a buck. Many Central Stations will not risk the liability of monitoring an account that was not installed by a qualified or licensed individual, and refuse to do it. AGAIN there are some here that will do that for a Buck and a half. Sorry Olson- not all C.S.'s ask for "installer codes" or for that matter program their own info.

Reply to
secure15

Some DIYer's are pretty damn smart. They've spent two hours on the phone with a "nimrod" in Sarasota and know "everything" about installing and programming their systems. :-)

The manufacturers sell to wholesalers and distributors. These sell to alarm companies, Dealers, and online stores. Getting the software to program his system is a "no brainer".

Some of the CS's that do provide this service (to DIYer's) sell a proprietory dialer they have to install/attach to their alarm system. Like "Next Alarm" for instance

formatting link
Don't get your "feathers in a knot".

I wasn't talking about C.S.'s. I was responding to the gentleman's question regarding his "contacting a local alarm company". You may need stronger reading glasses.

Reply to
Frank Olson

AND YOU MAY NEED TO CHECK ON HOW AND WHAT YOU WRITE!

Reply to
secure15

In reference to what??

OK... To simplify this whole th "If I contact a local alarm company, will they say: we have not installed the panel, we don't know how it works, and we cannot provide monitoring service for you."

To which I responded:

"If they don't say that, they'll want to program their own CS information into your system and more than likely ask you to relinquish the installer code during the course of your contract with them."

What I should have said (to avoid confusing "secure15") is this:

"If the alarm company you choose doesn't say that, they'll more than likely want to program the information into your system that will enable it to communicate with the Central Station provider they use. You will more than likely be required to surrender your access to installer level programming for the duration of the monitoring contract. In addition to this, they will also more than likely insist on inspecting your installation."

Reply to
Frank Olson

THAT clarifies your comments!

Reply to
secure15

We can now resume our normal scheduled programming. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

From: Leo - view profile Date: Thurs, Aug 24 2006 8:43 pm Email: Leo Groups: alt.security.alarms

Hi Leo,

Plenty of DIYers who have the ELK-M1 system are being monitored by professional alarm monitoring firms. Although the majority of monitoring firms won't deal directly with a DIYer (or any other end user) many do monitor DIY systems under contract with local dealers.

The trick is to find a dealer who is willing to work with you. Some dealers are hard-headed and won't even talk to you. Others will monitor a system as long as they can lock you out of programming the system (beware of these deales; you may have difficulty getting them to relinquish control upon termination, even if you've paid in full). Still others will work with you as long as they can check the system to make sure there's nothing screwy in the setup. Finally, there are Internet dealers who offer monitoring service, typically through third party central stations. Prices vary widely so shop around.

One gentleman expressed concern over whether you could get and use the ELK software to program the system. Don't worry about that. ELK will provide it with the control panel if requested. The software is free.

ELK Products is different from most alarm manufacturers in that they actively support DIY end users. While they prefer you obtain tech support from your product vendor, they will talk to you directly if you ask. On occasion you can even speak to an ELK engineer.

Regards, Robert L Bass Bass Burglar Alarms www.BassBurglarAlarms.om

Reply to
robertlbass

thank you very much for the comprehensive reply

Reply to
Leo

Reply to
Leo

... another job for

formatting link

Cheers ...

Dave

Reply to
Dave Ferguson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.