State licensing questions

In Florida all the inspectors I've dealt with (three or four of them) asked for battery calculations on commercial fire alarms.

One AHJ tried to tell my customer he needed a licensed alarm installer to put his DIY system in. I sent the customer a PDF of the Florida statute with the appropriate paragraphs highlighted. The customer showed that to the AHJ and got his permit.

Some have been asking for an inspection report and others have not. Clients sometimes ask me to do the battery calc's for them but I prefer to send them the spreadsheet and teach them how to use it instead.

We got a large video project recently and the local inspector only wanted to know if the equipment was UL listed. He didn't ask about power supplies, cabling or anything. The customer had apparently gotten a bid from an installer before he bought the system from my online CCTV store because he knew exactly what he wanted for the job -- cameras, lenses, DVR's, mounts and housings, etc. I'd like to meet the guy who bid the project and thank him for doing such a nice job. Hope to meet more of his customer. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

He's an old man so cut him some slack.

Tell him, RHC, you said beautiful without lisping so he needs to stop breaking chops.

Doug L wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Yeah, yeah....I'm goin'.....but not till near the end of March....hope to swing by Jim Rojas's place and say hello......

BTW, do I detect a note of envy in your post Tom.....hehehe.....

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Ah, cut me some slack guys ! I may be old but I ain't dead....a beautiful woman or a beautiful motorcycle will still turn my head any day. Unfortunately, the only one of the two that I can afford, and that won't get me into major trouble is the motorcycle...

So you guys all go back to sleep now...yah here now!!

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Doug told me to say that at your age you'd be lucky if whiplash turned your head. Keep in mind that Doug said that. You know me, Bob, never an unkind word, always polite, and I floss after each meal.

Robert Campbell wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Tom said he didn't see the problem in you finding an affordable local bike, he also mentioned something about forget the beauty bit and how it would be more cost effective to invest in some good beer goggles first and then he went on to say that as long as you double bag then it shouldn't cause any major trouble for you, I could be wrong on that last part, it may have been "at that price range I hope the old bastard double bags", since I wasn't really paying attention to him but I did tell him that he shouldn't be talking about you like that and I just thought you should know what Tom was saying about you.

Doug L.

Reply to
Doug L

You just can't figure out how to get out of the city

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Ok....I'll take a year or so to figure out what that's all about, and I'll get back to you......

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

So you, a mere parts seller, have been dealing with electrical inspectors .. in Florida? Doing battery calculations for your customers, too?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Not exactly. A company needs a "qualifying agent" (license holder). A license holder needs a company to qualify or he/she must make their license inactive. When one is saying "license for sale", they are actually looking to put their license with a company that needs a license to operate. (They need a job.) The person must be an employee w/ check writing ability. They are personally and financially responsible for the actions of the company that he/she is licensing. They must oversee all field work. This license holder must make application to the DBPR and the process is regulated through the ECLB. To become licensed, there is a whole application deal, requiring financials, credit checks, insurances, bond, definately a test, proof of supervisory experience requirements, continueing education, etc. One cannot just go to a store and buy a license.

Some may have, however, there always seems to be problems. Florida tried and was willing to reciprocate with other states as long as the other states had equal or greater licensing and educational requirements. That is where it would fall apart. The Board would request info on an applicant and the other state wouldn't cooperate. Or a Florida license holder would go to another state and they wouldn't reciprocate. There seems to always be a turf or money issue. Most states would be hard pressed to meet Florida's licensing and continueing education requirements.

No

Feds aren't going to get into the local licensing business.

What about the states that don't have licensing laws now? Are those companies simply going to be able to go to a neighboring state and work because their home state doesn't require a license?

Come to Florida and say that. A little old lady that stands about 4 foot 3 inches, and has used the subway or bus her entire life retires to Florida when she is 80 and the first thing she does is go out a buys a Grand Marquis. You would swear to God that there is no one in the front seat when you see that car going down the road, even though it is only doing about 18 miles an hour.

>
Reply to
Bob Worthy

But I'll bet you ..... you could recite her measurments in metric, inches and cubits.

Hey, I'm still looking for the perfect pair. Any good candidates?

Reply to
Jim

Battery calcs are part of the required shop drawings submitted at the permit and plan approval process. A copy of the approved plans are to be onsite for inspection and made part of the required documentation package (log book). So, why are you dealing with inspectors? Do you really know who are dealing with?

I am sure you are right up to speed on the *exemption* language in the statute since it is what you rely on. To bad you are not up on the rest of the statute as you are on that particular section... hey hey hey

As if you would know

Why don't you just tell them the truth. You are not licensed to do so.

I am sure he would like to meet you too!! And you wonder why complaints are filed against you.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

He lies, he doesn't know the process down here. I can tell that just from his previous post in this thread. The only way a DIYer is going to get away with what RLB says is in a very limited situation and if it varies at all, things change away from any exemptions. At any rate, the plan review process is the same to get a permit whether you are a DIYer or contractor. An AHJ doesn't want to talk to RLB about anything, believe me. He is only a web w**re.

>
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yep. Every so often clients asks me to discuss a project with an inspector and I accommodate them. Does that bother you?

I believe I answered that in another recent post.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And I'll bet you dazzle the hell out them with your BS.

Not at all, but after you've pissed off the inspector, I wonder what the client does then. hey hey hey!!!!

Just not truthfully! Let me help you explain to the audience a little clearer. "I (RLB)AM NOT LICENSED AND CANNOT EVER GET A LICENSE TO DO SO." Now that wasn't so hard, was it, Robert.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I thought there were several in that picture I sent you... I'm still trying to find out how to fill *my pool* like that!! :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

This could take some time, lord knows I've been looking my entire post pubescent life, but I was hoping, at least, for some progress reports. I guess we have to talk motorcycles to get his attention now.

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.