WiFi at state parks

in case you had not seen this article...

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

That's great. One goes to a state park to get away from civilization and they bring their computers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I agree with you and Charles Spitz of Wall Township, N.J from the article.

Reply to
George

one the surface - I was visualizing AP's around the camping area, but in reflecting on the concept - I could see an AP in the newer "hotel" or the main "lodge" area.... for group gatherings, etc.

Reply to
ps56k

Wait, do you think going to campgrounds at state parks is getting away from "civilization?" Go over to the campgrounds at New Brighton or Sunset some Saturday night.

Reply to
SMS

I had visions of Yellowstone Park, with wi-fi repeaters on the backs of the bears forming a mesh network. Maybe plastic fake trees and bushes for the access points. Battery charging stations at every trail head. Free CD protectors (for the file sharing downloads) at the ranger stations. Multi-media experience computer tours in 3D for those that are permanently attached to their laptops. Virtual reality head mounted displays with interactive shows for simulating a bear attack, the way it was before the USFS screwed it up, and get your last look at the park before it's paved over.

Hmmm... if this is a nightmare, why can't a I wake up?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've been out to parks/forests like Mt. Rainer and here in Chicago - Starved Rock - Each had their huge log lodges built back in the day, and they look the part. I've seen weddings, company gatherings, etc held at these "rustic" locations. So - I could see AP's going up within the confines of the walled community, or the newer hotel building adjacent to these logged lodges. I'll have to take a drive down to Starved Rock and see what they have deployed.... Wonder if any of these sites actually have put up AP's for the camping areas ? heck - they have "hookups" -

sorta like that other thread with the RV park & the WiFi via a T1 -

Reply to
ps56k

I've only been to a "campground" a couple of times.... I tend to see more of the crowd.... let's go away and drink beer & yell all night. NOT a fun family weekend, it was horrible.

then again - the Boy Scout backpacking stuff out in the middle of nowhere is much better -

Reply to
ps56k

George wants to rule my life. I would rather object to George's generator, running to keep his motorhome cool, than someone sitting at a laptop. More outdoor freedom for George if the other residents are inside with a laptop.

Jeff just laments his own lack of conviction, that if WiFi were there, he would be powerless to avoid using it. ;-)

There are many retirees who would like to post their photos to PicassaWeb while on the road, or be able to view the myspace pages of the grandchildren.

I wonder what a backpacker does with the laptop while out on the trail. Maybe it gets locked in the "bear locker" along with the peanut butter. Or tucked safely under the dirty socks in the laundry bag.

KOA has had WiFi for years. I used it to plot my next camp sites.

Cell phone coverage is more intrusive on my solitude than WiFi coverage.

Reply to
dold

We visited my wife's mom and dad in FL, with my computer, they got a kick out of real time with video on iChat.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

True. The secret to long life, inner peace, and harmony with both nature and the establishment is to never waste energy resisting temptation. I tried to go for a weekend without turning on the computah, and failed. I'm sure there's a 12 step addictive self-help computah addiction withdrawl program available somewhere, but it's probably administered on a computah.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Agree, pulling up with a motor home with A/C, shower, refrigerator, satellite TV and broadband isn't camping. We still do real camping where you carry in whatever you need and truly get away.

I also find those commercials showing someone trundling up to a peaceful waterfall in the forest in their mammoth SUV to "enjoy nature" annoying.

Reply to
George

Remember MacNamara's Fence? Fake plastic jungle plant antennas attached to data collection devices dropped or otherwise placed on jungle trails in Viet Nam which were laughably conspicuous to anyone who saw one.

Michael

Reply to
msg

I've done live web casts while riding my horse in the LBJ National Grasslands. Wireless 10 Mbps DSL is awesome by the campfire.

Reply to
DTC

Well, there goes that "natural" experiance. Next they will probably start using toilet paper instead of leaves. ;)

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Using toilet paper in the computah printer is sufficiently uncivilized to qualify. I've never tried using leaves, but I guess it might work in a dot matrix printer if properly flattened.

When I was in high skool, I worked for a few weeks at a large hardware distributor. Among the items carried, were rolls of sandpaper and emery cloth. It didn't take much imagination to cut a roll down to the size of toilet paper and install it in the bathrooms. The process was referred to as "roughing it". Now daze, it all comes in sheets, which kinda takes the fun out sandpaper.

For those that want to make a statement:

of a gift for someone that needs to be insulted.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There was a magazine advertisement, and I think I still have the page I tore out of the magazine to scan. It was either a toilet paper company or an abrasive bathroom cleaner company, I don't recall.

But the statement they said was, "Good think we don't make toilet paper" or "Good thing we don't make bathroom cleaners".

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.