A real Brain Twister

Hey Guys!!

I have been having a real challenge lately with a house with a Interlogix NX8V2. This is really one for the books but rather than type a not so small NOVEL I will focus on just one small part.

I have two TX-E611 Flood/Freeze Sensor as it called. The two have been working fine for two years. Then a couple of weeks ago one was reported as "Lost Transmitter". Now that usually means that the panel did not receive a transmitter check in on schedule. Thinking is was maybe a low battery and talking to the customer it was agreed that he would get the batteries and replace.

Since they were both the same age I suggested that he replace them both just because. The battery is a CR2450 coin battery. Don't know the actual voltage of the original batteries but presently one is at

3.192vdc. I haven't opened the other as of yet. When the units are placed on a wet towel they will signal in as Restored and then signal Water Alert.

To determine if the problem was with the customers receiver I removed the units from the house and learned them into my system. After learning in I tested both units and the both triggered a water alert as they should.

Then I just waited. BTW learn in was Saturday morning at about 10am All has been fine until today at 9:48am when both units reported Tx Lost. If the test time is 24 hours then on the second 24 hour cycle it failed to signal.

My first question is does anyone know what the test cycle is on Interlogix Transmitters or Receivers?? I thought it was more like

4 to 6 hours but never really knew for sure. Basically if all worked then why worry about it. Well now, it would be nice to know.

My other question would be what would cause a transmitter to stop a test signal cycle?? I can understand maybe one going bad somehow but two??

The other part of this post is to ask if anyone knows any Forum or group that might have better knowledge of the Interlogix product line?? I would call Tech Support and stump them if they were still on the job. They were up until August of 2020 but that is now history.

Thanks for any insight guys.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Hi Les, I won't be much help since I know next to nothing about Interlogix . . . how ever, in the Napco Quickloader program there's a section that allows you to adjust the check-in time of the transmitters. Most people just overlook this part of the program because you have to scroll down on a page and it's not very apparent that you can do so. If you don't know it's there it can be missed. Could there be something like that in the Interlogix program?

Also, have you tried clearing the program from the panel and re-downloading it? Sometimes just a little glitch in power or whatever, can change something in the program. Just had that happen on an old Napco panel a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Jim,

Yes that might be nice. As for the programming options that might relate there is a "Supervise" ON or OFF. I could turn it off but that might be a disadvantage. Since my typing I have opened one as I said and closed it up and tested. At this point neither has chimed in being "Lost". Of course that will change once I click on the send for this posting. :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Try a range extender? You may have a dead zone. I've seen sensors that worked fine on installation that later started causing supervisories

That's a nice thing about DSC PowerG sensors with a mile range, you don't see that happening like the old 319/433 MHz stuff

Reply to
mleuck

Hi Mark,

This isn't a range issue. There is something going on with the transmitters themselves. Yesterday both reported "Lost" again in the same minute. Placed on wet towel and both Restored and gave an Alarm. It just seems so odd that two units would do the same thing at the same time after 2 years of working with out any issues. Yes, it may just be an (up to this time) product glitch. The extra frustration is that is happens to ME and there is NO Tech Support to talk to about the issue.

I am still monitoring to see if something changes (for the better)!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Les, have you tried the "Heat - Cool" test on the xmiters? that might tell you if a component on the pcb is going bad... ((cap, therm, transistor, etc...)) If both xmiters used the same production run of parts, well I've had it happen.. ((was caps both times)) Just a thought... RTS

Reply to
RTS

It's so weird I may use a particular part say, once every few months. So, I get one with a problem. I call tech support and either they never heard of the problem or it's a faulty unit and has to be returned and i don't have a spare and the whole freekin day is shot not even considering that everything that's already been scheduled for the week or so has to be juggled around.

NOW - - - - Here I am. Just a one man business. Using maybe 6 or 8 or some small quantity of a product a year. How is it that - - - " I " - - - - get the bad one? There's got to be companies out there who are using hundreds - - - maybe THOUSANDS of this product every year. If " I " get a bad one out of the few that I buy - - - are you telling me that these big users aren't getting dozens, hundreds of bad ones? Obviously not, because the product stays on the market The distributor "never" gets any returns, and anyone I talk to doesn't have a problem. But it just p^%#*s me off to no end as to how that can happen. How can one little company get the "bad" one?

Reply to
Jim Davis

NO JIM, YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! I AM THE ONLY ONE THIS HAPPENS TO!!! IF THERE IS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM SOMEWHERE ON THE PLANET, I AM THE GUY THAT FIND IT FIRST!!

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN INVADE ON MY SPECIALTY??

:-)

Man, we must be twins!! Just last week I got a System Sensor 4WD Smoke. Took it out of the box and tried to place the unit on the base. It would not fit. Called my Distributor and she went to the warehouse and pulled one off the shelf and it fit perfectly. She sent me pictures of the back of the smoke and the base. The back of the the one I had was a mirror image of the one she had. There is a small circle stand-off that when placed together it hit a cross shaped post on the base and would not allow the parts to fit together. Called the sales rep for Honeywell. Met him and he is presently with the unit and passing on to those that are supposed to correct these issues. I am at a total loss as to how this could happen............... Unless someone on the assembly line decided to have a evil thought one day and pulled a back off a different product line and assembled it or placed in in the

4WD box. I actually had a old 4WD in my storage locker and it was mirrored opposite as well.

"How can one little company get the "bad" one?"

The sad part is that "WE" will never know!!!

Ok, I have bigger fish to fry today and next week.

Have a better hour, day, weekend all!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

want a know why little guys always get the bad one,

you really want a know, you sure you really want a know?

"retreads" we get the returns, that and the FACT we don't have million dollar lawyers.....

MONEY that's why.... LOL ;-)

RTS

Reply to
RTS

My thing was always, "Can your system do this?"

Them: "Yes. Our system can do that."

"Does it require any extra hardware to do that."

Them: "No, it does not."

"Your system doesn't do what you said."

Them: "You didn't buy that software upgrade."

"Ok. No problem. Screw me once... No that's it. Just once. Never again."

Reply to
Bob La Londe

r-11 and 2 TX-E611 installed 3 years ago. 2 weeks ago, 1 flood sensor gave a low battery signal. I ordered 2 Duracell CR2450s. Before they arrived, the flood sensor gave an offline notification. When they arrived, I checked the charge in both original Panasonic CR2450s. Neither was low. Nevertheless, I replaced both, put the panel into Sensor test mode and confirmed operation of both flood sensors by wetting their contacts. This placed them both online again. 4 days later, both flood sensors gave an offline notification at exactly the same time. This makes me suspicious that the problem is with the wireless receivor in the Interlogix panel and not with the flood sensors. The only was to now be sure that the flood sensors are communicating with the panel is to again put the panel into Sensor test mode and trigger the flood sensors. Most annoying.

Reply to
Stan Gore

Hi Stan,

Please take the following with old brain cells trying to remember details. Meaning what you are about to read is of limited accuracy. It is close but if I missed something don't blame me just figure it out!

But, I am not sure I had typed this previously but what you need to do is after you have replaced the batteries in the TX-E611 flood sensor and close it up. Then go into programming of the receiver and turn off segment 1 for the transmitter zone to disable the zone or transmitter. Then perform a learn in of the transmitter to that specific zone as you did originally.

Do not ask me why this works but it DOES!!!

By all means come back and post your results and where on the planet you located. :-)

Have a Merry Christmas!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Yea, Les, I was going to suggest the same thing. After battery replacement on near any transmitter I've ever worked on, a delete and relearn is the smoothest way to restore good comm links.. Like you said, don't know why for sure, but time has told me it works.. RTS

Reply to
RTS

My experience has been that it has only been the Flood Sensor that is an issue in this way!! And it took me a good bit of frustration to figure it out!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Les, does the sensors you've used or worked on, use resistance or inductance as the trigger type.?. the inductance type is more prone to a voltage/current change.. could be when the battery drained below the ckt's ability to compensate for, it altered some other balance ckt's in the device.. Just a guess, mind you... RTS

Reply to
RTS

Rocky,

It really depends on the sensor and how it is set for the application. These Flood Sensor have 4 small metal gold tabs on the bottom that when they get wet there is an amount of conductance that happens between the tabs which is picked up by the internal circuitry and then sends out a signal. So for this I would say it is inductance or current flow that happens.

For some odd reason when the batteries are replaced it does not not talk to the receiver as before and needs to be re-learned back into the system.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Sorry about my brain fart, I meant to same (least I thought so), Balance Bridge (not so much inductance), circuit.. Old age does those's kinds of thing... ;-) RTS

Reply to
RTS

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.