Slomins vs ADT vs Brinks vs any other home security system vendor

I was. However, there are some centrals that can backup one another in the US, too. It's not the same thing.

ADT uses a network of virtual monitoring centers that use automatic load balancing to distribute signals. From and end-user perspective, it's not really that important, but when you receive million and millions of signals an overload would be a huge liability if a center were to close without a back-up.

Reply to
J. Sloud
Loading thread data ...

I called the ADT 800 # if I buy an ADT system who will install it? Will theyy contract with an "authorizeed dealer" to install it?

MIke

Reply to
Mike

How is this different from an alarm mco installing a filter?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

As I understand it, if you buy from ADT corporate, it will be installed by ADT corporate. I've not heard of them farming anything out to authorized dealers.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No difference. Some alarm installations I've seen in which DSL is being used aren't hooked up correctly though. Make sure the system's thoroughly tested and watch your modem's behaviour during active alarm communications.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The TelCo tech's likely have no idea what 'line siezure' is and why you need it for your alarm's tx connection. I suggest you get a filter designed to work with an alarm system.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

If you deal with ADT directly then ADT is the installing, servicing, and monitoring company.

If you deal with an authorized dealer then the dealer who is a local alarm company, does the installation and service and ADT does the monitoring.

The authorized dealer is authorized to sell ADT monitoring service. ADT then buys the monitoring contract from the dealer. This is fine as long as the dealer uses decent equipment and does a good installation. The problem is that the dealer wants to install each system as inexpensively as possible since their primary source of revenue is the money they get from ADT for the monitoring contract. They deal in volume and in "free" mini-systems with little motivation for quality. This is the "two door and a motion fits all" free systems that you'll hear the local alarm company guys bash. ADT's vision is to have the dealers fill the "low" end of the market with low cost leased systems that provide basic security and are sold in very high volume.

On the other hand, ADT's branch corporate offices in the US sell equipment outright to the end user. Like most businesses, they make more money on larger sales, and will be more likely to size a system that is appropriate to the size of your home. They also have a custom home program in many cities that caters to the larger-sized, custom home market. ADT doesn't directly manufacture equipment any more. They have agreements with several major alarm equipment makers to produce ADT-spec panels and devices. Ademco, Napco, EST, Notifier, and Fire-Lite are some examples.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Great post Robert.

No dig here. And not assuming you need nor are looking for anyone's approval. I just think that was balanced and fair post.

Reply to
Jim

Robert, here's a little input for you and everyone on DSL.

I had to do a service call for a customer because her painter had removed some contacts from her windows. When done with the service call, just as routine, I called central, put the system on test, hooked my buttset, to the panel phone lines and hung it on the panel box within listening distance,without specifically listening to the dial tone and tripped a zone on the panel. The call went through. Not disarming the panel, I tripped another few zones, one at a time. Now I begin hearing the panel redial. It gets through, I figure a busy or whatever. So again, without actually putting the handset directly to my ear, I trip another zone. It doesn't get through again. It tries again and doesn't get through again. I pick up the handset and hear the DSL "hash tone". Sure enough, the customer, hadn't heeded my warnings in my Newsletter and had DSL installed for her computer hookup. I took the opportunity to experiment and sure enough. Sometimes it gets through and sometimes it doesn't.

I put on a DSL filter and it worked everytime. Conclusion. If it's got DSL on the line ...... put a filter on it, regardless if it gets through when you try it.

Sent out a special notice on bright yellow paper with the next billing to notify everyone about the problem and that they had to notify me to send them or install a filter.

Reply to
Jim

Good suggestion ! Interesting that it got through only intermittently. Better to play it safe than sorry, and install the filter always when DSL is present.

That's the first time I have heard of intermittent transmission though. Anytime I've tried personally, it works or it doesn't...black and white, but that might explain any intermittent "failures to test" from that system.

Thanks for the heads up !

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Again what you have posted is not totally factual. If you deal directly with ADT Corporate that still does not guarantee ADT Corporate is installing it. Some corporate installs are done by outside contractors, and even authorized dealers. The branch office in Elmsford, NY uses outside contractors for many of their installs. Quite a bit of the service is performed by authorized dealers as well.

J. Sloud wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

It must totally amaze you guys how quickly we get that shit politicking out of the way up here. Man, your elections just seem to go on and on and on I'm still a little stunned. I really thought the scumbags were going to pull it out of the fire but it just got worse and worse, but I still wasn't sure even on election night. PHEW!

and a prsperous new year to you too, Tom (I just gave myself a 5K a year raise now that I know the mafiosos won't be spending their ill gotten share of it)

Reply to
mikey

BTW, what make and model panel was it that showed intermittent transmission over DSL ?

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

ADT does occasionally use subcontractors for installation work. I've never seen ADT subcontracted service, though. The installation manager in the ADT branch office is still responsible for the quality of the installation which should offer some measure of control. ADT does also provide a money back guarantee.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Earlier you posted that ADT uses non-UL Listed equipment. Do you know specifically what? Just curious.

Reply to
J. Sloud

OK then why did you say this?

J. Sloud Jan 30, 8:49 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms From: J. Sloud - Find messages by this author Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:49:06 -0500 Local: Mon, Jan 30 2006 8:49 am Subject: Re: Slomins vs ADT vs Brinks vs any other home security system vendor Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

If you deal with ADT directly then ADT is the installing, servicing, and monitoring company.

If you deal with an authorized dealer then the dealer who is a local alarm company, does the installation and service and ADT does the monitoring.

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

He only uses Napco. It was probably one his massive P800 installations. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I said ADT is the installing company. They are. The installation is booked into ADT's Admin system and managed through the local ADT branch office. If the installation is subcontracted, the customer would still be contacted by an ADT installation coordinator and would call the local ADT branch office with any comments, questions or issues. The salesperson is also a direct ADT employee.

This differs from an authorized dealer. With a dealer, the customer doesn't interact with ADT personnel until after the system is installed and ADT buys the monitoring contract. Instead, the installation is managed, coordinated, and performed by a small, local alarm company. This company is responsible for resolving any installation issues with the customer.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.