Slomins vs ADT vs Brinks vs any other home security system vendor

I'll call RR

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

My friend has DSL and a hard wired security system and she reports she needs to stop using dsl when she's using the 'phone. Security installer also installed the dsl filter.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Guess I need to find out the make/model of any hardware I buy and match dsl filter to it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

noted

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike

I called the ADT 800 # for the quote.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like the phone lines aren't wired right

Reply to
Mark Leuck

occasionally?????????????????????? Hmmm, please define occasionally for all of us...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Not really, Mike. DSL filters don't care what the make/model of your alarm is. They simply block out the DSL signal whenever the alarm wants to talk to the central station. They are not hardware specific. Some folks report intermittent problems but those are likely the result of a faulty unit.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

She needs a DSL filter for her telephone as well as the one connected to the alarm. Most DSL service providers supply several filters with the DSL installation kit. If she didn't receive them she can pick one up at Circuit City, Office Depot or online at any electronics dealer. They're cheap and simple to install.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I wonder if reversed polarity phone wiring will cause problems with the RJ31X jack DSL filter???

Reply to
Russell Brill

Who isresponsible for fixing it? I'll ask her if she has the verizon maintenance plan.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I connected dsl filters to each RJ11 outlet.

Reply to
Mike

The installer was very defensive when informed of the DSL problem, Robert. Since installing the system he sold his company so he's not available. I'll ask her if she has a service plan .

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Good point. Might be difficult to check though. Which pair does pots use? inside pair?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

"Robert L Bass"

I guess that you don't know, or just ignore, that ADT's corporate alarm license has been on probation for the last year in Florida and is now being investigated for complaints that have come in while they were on probation. We all know how you feel about regulation so it is no surpise that you would deal or recommend someone that is in this predicament. It is very public knowledge that being the biggest and wealthiest that they simply pay their way out of their problems to the tune of 100's of thousand of dollars. A simple search will show the states they have had simular problems.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I have the DSL filters on my website. If you can't get the dealer to do the right thing, you can just order one. It takes all of 5 seconds to install one.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That really shouldn't matter. The DSL filter doesn't care.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

OK, that's good. But you still need yet another DSL filter for the alarm and this one needs to be compatible with the RJ31X jack the alarm uses.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Noted

Reply to
Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.