RG59 direct burial siamese

Anyone have any idea why there's such a wide price range for this cable?

From the low hundreds to high $400.00 plus.

Who do you trust?

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

The pricing varies by how much a particular supply house buys from a particular vendor of wire so if the underground wire is not from vendor they typically buy from it will be higher priced . I run into this all the time with certain cables which are not popular or commonly stocked. plus add in cost of shipping and it can be substantial. I bought 100' of 2# 4 conductor SO flexible mine cable other day for use on a machine and the shipping weight was 75 pounds and $250.00 to get it here plus 1.85 a foot for the cable . so add in shipping and it puts the cost up there. and underground cable is heavier. there also might be a minimum where they by it from and cutting charges etc. if you do not meet minimum which can jack up price.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Check the details of the specs.

There is Solid Copper Core w/ Solid Copper 95% Braid and solid copper on the stranded 18 gage pair, which is the best.

Then there is Copper Clad Aluminum or CCA.

Then there is Copper Clad Steel or CCS

There is other stuff. If you are pricing only the first item and it is SOLID COPPER the prices will be higher but you are or should be comparing apples to apples. Anything else is buyer beware.

For Direct Burial it must spec it as such. If not don't buy it because it will fail. Not the next day, but it will fail.

If the listing does not say COPPER you need to ask and get confirmation.

Oh and for what it is worth. The CCA and CCS will work but the quality of transmission is not as good and distance of run will be shorter. Do you want to take the chance that it will fail or not in the future??

Good Luck.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I'm looking for direct burial for about 300 feet at the most, so steel core would still work. And I'm not actually concerened about WHAT it cost ....( the customer will pay for what ever it is) just that there seems to be a big difference in cost between the same items.

Reply to
Jim

Well in that case your answer is simple.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

If you think so ...... then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in buying.

Reply to
Jim

If you think so ...... then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in buying.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What am I missing??

"You say that there seems to be a big difference in cost between the same items."

Well if IT IS the same item then take the lowest cost and move along.

Simple!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Part is the mfg. Belden and West Penn will cost more. Part may be the cable itself. Gopher proof costs a lot more than waterproof.

Waterpoof has a heavy exposure rated outer jacket. Gopher proof has a heavy exposure rated outer jacket, a shield under that usually of hard copper, and a heavy exposure rated inner jacket.

Lots of things involved. Also some distributors will just mark things up more than others. Telephone primary distributors tend to have less customer service orientation and higher prices than alarm primary distributors. Gaybar comes to mind.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I dono ..... maybe it's me.

When I say the "same item" I don't mean the same manufacturer I mean two different products with what appears to be the same spec's.

I think I saw one web site with 500ft for $67.00!!!!

Like ...... REALLY???? or once I get it, I find that it's made in China with active plutonium shielding. I find that in ordering on the Internet that the description of the item doesn't always match the item you get.

So I don't see it as being as simple as buying the least expensive product.

But anyway, I checed with ADI and they have it for $137.00 / 500 ft. .... That's cool.

By the way ..... the bridge is still for sale ..... Really really low price too! :-)

Reply to
Jim

We only have rats around here but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Yeah. Gay bar always comes to my mind when anything involving incompetence or overpricing is being discussed.

Reply to
Jim

As Bob was saying there are a lot of things that get wrapped up in the wire pricing.

All I was saying was that if you have the "same" product from two, three or more places the take the lowest price.

Such as if you need a Napco C100STE motion and the prices are $18, $24, and $28. Buy the $18 unit.

But if you on the other hand are looking internet prices vs. ADI, Tri-Ed or Graybar and the descriptions are almost the same then you need to dig deeper and understand what your are getting before you buy.

As for the Bridge..................... Sorry, but I bought and sold that bridge years ago and I have a policy of not buying the same bridge twice.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I'm looking for direct burial for about 300 feet at the most, so steel core would still work. And I'm not actually concerened about WHAT it cost ....( the customer will pay for what ever it is) just that there seems to be a big difference in cost between the same items.

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.