Remove a zone from ADT alarm system

I have two wireless contacts that are no longer in use due to a remodel. ADT will not tell me over the phone how to remove the zones that are associated with them. Instead they want to send a service tech out and charge me for it. I know this is a simple matter of pressing a few keys and I don't want to shell out close to a hundred bucks for this.

Does anyone know how to remove these zones that are not in use anymore? I have a safewatch Pro 3000 EN system.

PLEASE HELP. THANKS>

Reply to
goT1G3RS
Loading thread data ...

What do you do for a living?

Reply to
alarman

Sticks it to everyone else........... (just a guess)

Reply to
Russell Brill

RHC: As much as I dislike the Borg, I have to agree with the other posters. Why would you expect them to work for nothing ? And it is not a reasonable request for you to ask them to allow you to mess around with the software where it's quite likely you would mess things up royally ! On the other hand, I don't understand why ADT can't simply dial in and disable these zones for you....it would also be cheaper for them (and possibly for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one....)

You might want to ask them that question.......

Reply to
tourman

Call them back and ask them to disable those zones remotely (over the phone line) - they shouldn't charge all that much for that. Unless, of course your system is due for a billable system check anyway (should be done every year or year and a half).

Another option is to take those two tranmitters down and securely tape the magnet to the case so the zone shows closed. Put them in a safe place and next time they come out for a yearly system check...just ask the tech to deprogram them then.

They do come out for regular service checks right?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

But...they CHARGE for that..., don't they?

Reply to
alarman

Take wireless contacts in hand. Find magnets. Tape magnets to the contact over the small indentation on the side of the cover (that's the switch). Place contacts in drawer. Keep them handy for when the batteries go low (you'll have to change them).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Good luck finding them later

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Probably, but then it's one service call not two. So he'd get a twofer.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

ah just putem on top of the panel box...you know the one installed under the bed in little jimmy's bedroom.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

1. Most smaller panels are programmed on site so chances are they do not have a copy of his system. This is a common practice with most companies unless they are propriatary. 2. What are the chances of the system being hosed over the phone and nothing working and than what would the cost be.
Reply to
awstoltenberg

have a copy of his system. This >is a common practice with most companies unless they >are propriatary. (I think you mean proprietary)

If you don't have an image of the panel program on file, then suck up the panel's program.

The chance of the panel program being hosed by a download? Almost none in my experience. Even on Bosch panels that end up with a CRC error from downloading can be unscrewed by blowing down a default program, and then blowing the original program back down to it. Complete testing of the systems after doing a download like that is certainly an absolute. Additionally we required both a signed written statement and a signed service ticket when zones are removed from the system permanently. It would be easy to do the programming remotely, but testing and signing paperwork would end up with a service call and/or office visit.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.