Radionics system questions

I have some questions about some Radionics hardware that I have. I am planning to install a Radionics burglary/fire panel in my house. Some things I'd like to do with it are: security, fire, and later on, HID door access control for 2 doors. I'll need more than 8 zones, so I'd want to use the popex and popits for expansion. Right now, I have an 8112I panel,

3 D1252 pads, 2 D8125 popexs, 2x D8130 output relays, a D128 two line phone adapter, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff and some popits. I have been reading everything I can find about Radionics panels and I like their capabilities, especially compared to more "consumer"-oriented panels. Ok, some questions

1) I understand that there are a number of different models of the 8112 panel, but I am having a hard time finding what the different models are and what there capabilities are.

2) I am not committed to keeping an existing 8112 panel. I am interested other panels that are compatible with the hardware I listed above. I found that the panels are cheap compared to all the hardware that you buy to use with them. I'd like to know what radionic panels are recommended.

3) Regarding programming, how hard is that to do, if you have a manual and a programmer, can you figure it out? I've had to program stuff before and usually a week of trial and error is sufficient. Is the same true for Radionics panels? Also, how hard is the 5100 to use compared to a 5200 and compared to RAM software? Where do you get handlers for different panels if the programmer doesnt have them already? I'd like to note that I wouldn't rule out having someone program it for me, I'm not too proud, heh.

4) Regarding device supervision, namely keypads, what are the implications of that? I was considering installing a fire reporting keypad in an insecure area and didn't want it to be vulnerable to tampering. Does it monitor them for tampering and sound an alarm if they are tampered with?

5) A little off in the weeds here, has anyone used the EAR emergency audio reporting connection on a radionics panel? I understand the CS can talk to the premises while a break-in is occurring, that sounds pretty cool.

I'd appreciate any help, I've been reading the manuals cover to cover and these are some questions I couldn't find answers to.

Thanks, Logan

-- L.P.

Reply to
Logan
Loading thread data ...

inline...

Definitely a great product, long discontinued...and NOT easy to program especially for diy'er and even for some alarm techs. I still have some parts..keypads, expanders, some pulls, some NOS.

| | 1) I understand that there are a number of different models of the 8112 | panel, but I am having a hard time finding what the different models are | and what there capabilities are.

Yep there are, and you'd have to find the Technograms to figure out the differences. I don't even remember them all.

| | 2) I am not committed to keeping an existing 8112 panel. I am interested | other panels that are compatible with the hardware I listed above. I | found that the panels are cheap compared to all the hardware that you buy | to use with them. I'd like to know what radionic panels are recommended. | | 3) Regarding programming, how hard is that to do, if you have a manual | and a programmer, can you figure it out? I've had to program stuff before | and usually a week of trial and error is sufficient. Is the same true for | Radionics panels? Also, how hard is the 5100 to use compared to a 5200 | and compared to RAM software? Where do you get handlers for different | panels if the programmer doesnt have them already? I'd like to note that | I wouldn't rule out having someone program it for me, I'm not too proud, | heh.

You'll never figure it out. The 5100 is a wand/barcode swiper type programmer, the 5200 does a little more but has a keypad. You'd need an OLD version of RAM and a computer still running DOS and an old expensive modem that was proprietary. I don't think that RAM 1 ran on a regular modem with a dongle.

The 8112 is old and way long retired. I have one left and a few keypads.

If you don't have the handlers you will not get them. AFAIK: They were not computer files so they are not likely to be floating around on someones puter, you had to download them WITH the programmer over the phone FROM Radionics (now Bosch)...you'll never get them unless you buy a programmer from someone who already has them loaded. My 5200 programmers are worth their weight in gold now :-)

| | 4) Regarding device supervision, namely keypads, what are the | implications of that? I was considering installing a fire reporting | keypad in an insecure area and didn't want it to be vulnerable to | tampering. Does it monitor them for tampering and sound an alarm if they | are tampered with?

They're supervised.

| | 5) A little off in the weeds here, has anyone used the EAR emergency | audio reporting connection on a radionics panel? I understand the CS can | talk to the premises while a break-in is occurring, that sounds pretty | cool.

Never used it, actully never hoid of it.

But you will be up to your ears in the weeds with an 8112 and popits and octopits..believe me.

| | I'd appreciate any help, I've been reading the manuals cover to cover and | these are some questions I couldn't find answers to.

Read em if you can find em - good luck, but I think you're wasting your time.

| | Thanks, | Logan | | -- | L.P.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I read in your message that you want to do both door access and zone expansion. This is not possible with the D8112 series. The D8112G2 is the only model that is capable of expansion, through a now defunct concept of master zones. The D8112A is capable of door access (4 doors max), but not zone expansion, you are limited to the 8 on board zones. Forget about the E, E1, G, and G1. The D8112G2 and the A are the only truly useful controls (considering the age of the technology). The D8128 will work on the A and G2, but the A panel is not designed for fire. The A panel would require the D8131 Access module, which is capable of doing 2 doors in the 26 bit Wiegand format. Since you need more than 8 points, you would be limited to using the G2. The G2 has no access capabilities, but used to be UL for fire. A listing is no longer maintained. To really do access, security and fire, you would have to go with the 9000/7000 series of panels (D7412/D9412, as the X412 series are the only combo panels capable of access, 2 doors for the D7412 and 8 doors for the D9412). This requires one D9210B for each access door). Throw the 5100 programmer out. The 5200 is much more friendly, and programs more stuff. The RAM software is friendlier still, but has certain requirements as to the modem, especially programming the D8112 since the panel talks at a whopping 110 BPS. (BTW, I could program a D8112 or

9000/7000 series panel via phone line). The keypads on the D8112 are not supervised, supervision is a programmable option for up to 8 keypads on the 9000/7000 series panels. There is a keypad available for strictly fire control on the 9000/7000, the D1256. The keypads (1256 and 1255) are only supervised against removal from the SDI bus, but by going with a strict fire keypad in the public area, you negate a bit of potential tampering. The D128 is not compatible with the 9000/7000 panels. You would have to use a D928 for the dual phone lines. The D8125's would be compatible with the 9000/7000 panels, providing that they are within a certain date code. The date code on the D8125 has to be higher than 9434 and date code on D8127 popits would have to be higher than 9434. All of the D8126 and D9127 popits are compatible with both model panels e.g. the 8112 and the 9000/7000. The 1256 is not compatible with the 8112 series. The 1252 keypads would not be compatible with the 9000/7000. The D1255 (all models of the 9000/7000 including the obsolete B series) and the D1260 (Panel rev 6.5 or higher) would be. Programming the D8112 and the 9000/7000 series panels should really be left up to a professional experienced with the ins and outs of access, fire and security. The programming can be fairly complex, and the Radionics panels in general are not geared for the DIY person.

Hope this helps clarify some things. Oh...EAR never really worked, so it was never really fully implemented. The 9000/7000 panels are capable of doing a type of listen in (sort of), but the CS needs to have a D6600 receiver capable of doing the listen in, and all you can really do is pick up a premises phone and talk to the operator.

Reply to
Mark M.

oops...blew the date codes. 9340 for the D8125, 9344 for the 8127 popits. Sorry bout that. Misread my technical data.

Reply to
Mark M.

Mark M. has already covered most of this pretty well, but let me add a few things.

First, if you do manage to get a 5200 programmer, don't be surprised if it is locked with a password and unusable.

Second, even if you find a usable programmer, it will cost you more than many alarm panels. Putting it another way, you would be spending a substantial amount of money on a piece of equipment you won't be using very often. You can buy a nicer panel than the 8112 for less than the cost of a

5200. The 5100 bar code programmer is long since obsolete, and cannot program newer panels such as the 7412/9412.

Third, all of the 7000/9000 panels and some of the 8112 panels have a feature called datalock, which means you will not even be able to program those panels with a 5200 unless the datalock code in the panel matches the code in the programmer, or is set to the factory default lock code. Be warned if you are thinking of buying parts on eBay.

Fourth, forget about getting the RAM software. Even if you managed to get the software and the install disk, the software requires a dongle to operate. It was never intended for consumer use, and due to the dongle, not even the illustrious Robert L. Bass can get you a copy that works. The datalock feature is also implemented in the RAM software, so even if you had the software, you might not be able to access the programming of an existing panel.

Fifth, although Radionics products are powerful and high quality, there is a pretty steep learning curve. That, plus the cost of the programmer, makes them a poor choice for a DIY installation.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

That would be the 40th week of 1993...shows ya just how old that panel is.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'll sell one of my 5200's for 2 grand, I'll let the 5100 go for a grand and I'll default the lock codes. That'd give me just enough to buy a scooter. :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Is this the Mark M. that is into trains? Sounds like 'im.

X.

Reply to
X. Boschman

The higher end honeywell panels vista 128bp will do what you want and almost everything can be programmed thru keypad. so can higher end Networx -Caddix material is easier to get and program.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

I'd rather have a scooter

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Could Be... :)

Reply to
Mark M.

More than likely you will have an 8112 G2 model, they were the most popular

Will will likely have to replace about all of it, a lot of the old boards had problems on new Rad panels

It would be a first for me to see a 5200 that didn't have an 8112 handler, you are better off with RAM software unless you like shelling out 800 bux for a 5200

Thats a 2-way board, several companies make those

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Some people may unload handlers they don't use to make room for others...unless they had a 5200 with the xtra drive. I never really liked the 8112 so when it was disc I removed the handler from my everyday 5200 - but not from my backup though.

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message news:KOmdnYIf1a5MZWXZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... | | "Logan" wrote in message | news:Xns9825B6D33FFBmco@65.32.5.121... | > I have some questions about some Radionics hardware that I have. I am | > planning to install a Radionics burglary/fire panel in my house. Some | > things I'd like to do with it are: security, fire, and later on, HID door | > access control for 2 doors. I'll need more than 8 zones, so I'd want to | > use the popex and popits for expansion. Right now, I have an 8112I panel, | > 3 D1252 pads, 2 D8125 popexs, 2x D8130 output relays, a D128 two line | > phone adapter, plus a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff and some popits. | > I have been reading everything I can find about Radionics panels and I | > like their capabilities, especially compared to more "consumer"-oriented | > panels. Ok, some questions | >

| > 1) I understand that there are a number of different models of the 8112 | > panel, but I am having a hard time finding what the different models are | > and what there capabilities are. | | More than likely you will have an 8112 G2 model, they were the most popular | | > 2) I am not committed to keeping an existing 8112 panel. I am interested | > other panels that are compatible with the hardware I listed above. I | > found that the panels are cheap compared to all the hardware that you buy | > to use with them. I'd like to know what radionic panels are recommended. | | Will will likely have to replace about all of it, a lot of the old boards | had problems on new Rad panels | | | > 3) Regarding programming, how hard is that to do, if you have a manual | > and a programmer, can you figure it out? I've had to program stuff before | > and usually a week of trial and error is sufficient. Is the same true for | > Radionics panels? Also, how hard is the 5100 to use compared to a 5200 | > and compared to RAM software? Where do you get handlers for different | > panels if the programmer doesnt have them already? I'd like to note that | > I wouldn't rule out having someone program it for me, I'm not too proud, | > heh. | | It would be a first for me to see a 5200 that didn't have an 8112 handler, | you are better off with RAM software unless you like shelling out 800 bux | for a 5200 | | | > 5) A little off in the weeds here, has anyone used the EAR emergency | > audio reporting connection on a radionics panel? I understand the CS can | > talk to the premises while a break-in is occurring, that sounds pretty | > cool. | | Thats a 2-way board, several companies make those | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You must not have had the memory pack because I've gotten all of them on mine?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I have one left with the ram extension and one without - I use the little one mostly. I still have a 5100 too...sheesh I got a lotta junk. I don't use radx anymore, just maintaining the old ones I have out there.

5200 - | > but not from my backup though. | | You must not have had the memory pack because I've gotten all of them on | mine? | |
Reply to
Crash Gordon

actually i think one of mine was a handbuilt prototype that belongs in the Radx museum (seriously).

5200 - | > but not from my backup though. | | You must not have had the memory pack because I've gotten all of them on | mine? | |
Reply to
Crash Gordon

Great panel if you can do the programming with either a 5200 or the RAM II

I still have many running in the field after all these years with only having to replace batteries.

The RAM II software will support a regular modem for programming as you will never find the Tecmar ISA card modem these days.

I use both the Tecmar modem and a external Star Comm modem. Both work very well.

I keep a large number of spare parts around for these and other Radionics panels as I have been selling them since 1985. You can e-mail me if you need anything.

Ken K snipped-for-privacy@ads-security.net

Reply to
CoolPal

Radionics sold both locked and non-locked versions of the D8112 and D6112.

A data locked panel can be unlocked if you know how to do it and I do :)

Reply to
CoolPal

I have a customer looking for a new D1252 keypad. I have tons of used ones, but they insist on new. Do you have one?

Give me a call if you have a moment.

Jim Rojas (813) 884-6335 Cell

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.