Sanity test on pricing please

I need a sanity test on an installation price....

35 year old large sized rancher... (2,000 sq.ft on main level) Full access to unfinished attic Suspended ceiling in basement...

7 wired door contacts

26 Wireless Windows 2 overhead door wired 4 wireless glass break 4 fixed displays 1 interior siren 1 exterior siren 3 wireless rate of rise 6 wireless smoke/heat 1 GE Interlogix panel w/battery 1 RS-232 Module 1 Directional Driveway Alarm (Wired) (300' wire)

The price I get was close to 6K. I built the last system and I know what the new system would cost me to put it in assuming my time is worth nothing. I also know my "Valuing" is WAY off...

They said if we DIDN'T want monitoring it would add $750 to the price....

I really don't want to do this system, as I know how long it will take me (I would go ALL wireless anyway), but I know my sense is off... I just want to know if this is even close....

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob Sisson
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it is close to being a rip-off.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

$3500-4500 is what I come up with off the top of my head. (Alarm only- no driveway alert) Seeing the premises and the actual level of wiring difficulty could push it up, but not just from your description. 2 pros, 3 days could do a very thorough and professional job. That's $2000 labor alone, minimum.

*The driveway alarm is a big IF.... if the soil is loose fill, if there are no sidewalks/driveways to go under, if it is not a job for a machine trencher, etc.
Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

If I were still doing installations, I'd have bid about $3500 to $4000 for that job, regardless if it was monitored or not. Our prices were about the same as most established independent dealers in the area. Large, national firms and a few independents charge a bit more.

You mentioned a GE Interlogix (now called GE Security, BTW) panel. Which one? They have several panels that could handle this project with a significant difference in cost/feature sets.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

With that many zones, it's probably a Concord or Ultraguard.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Come on now everbody.

I'm a hvac contractor working for myself. I make 60 tho a year(on a good year) destroying my body for the comfort of others. The people I mostly work for make from 100,000 to 600,000 a year. If they want cheap crap work it is always out there and some complain about my prices and take it. What is so special about the jobs that pay over a 100,000 that justify that kind of income. Arrogance!

Here is a guy making way over the typical living wage of most (2000 sq foot dwelling plus all utility's and needing security to boot).

Bob,

Please explain to me the problem with other people, besides you, making a decent living wage also?

I say, if Bob wants cheap, let him move to China or buy his household security system from the loco wall mart.

bb

p.s. I just got under bid on a furnace that I was almost giving away and am in no mood to read anything from price whiners.

Reply to
bb

Well guys go check out how BOB makes his living.

formatting link
I won't make any comments, I will let others do that.

Reply to
ABLE_1

There's nothing wrong with that. It's probably more lucrative than the alarm business. I was thinking about becoming a chimney sweeper myself... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I would quote about $5600 with no driveway sensor, but I don't do it on the cheap. You could find it for less, but not better. It could probably be done for less without all the wireless stuff. Seems like a good candidate for hardwire with all the access. js

Reply to
alarman

My next door neighbor is in the home inspection business, which is tanking in CA right now. It's a tough way to make a living; lots of competition undercutting everyone, realtors lying and sticking knives in your back, customers who get the inspection then don't want to pay, etc. Kinda like the alarm biz. I guess the good ones do okay though. js

Reply to
alarman

You're assuming the bidder intended to break the sensors into individual zones. That would be the best approach but as we both know, many dealers prefer to loop numerous sensors together on a single zone to use a cheaper panel and/or save on zone expanders.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

He's a home inspector. So? He's also a nice guy who doesn't mind paying a fair price for a good job. He only asked if the price he's been quoted seems reasonable -- not how to beat the contractor down.

Bob is also a very knowledgeable, experienced DIYer but this time around he's considering hiring a pro. Here's your chance to act "professional" instead of driving him away.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
26 wireless zones would mean a higher end ITI panel.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

JS makes a good point about the wiring access... cheaper (and better) to go hardwired where possible, and from your description there shouldn't be any need for wireless. Beware of wireless glassbreaks, especially- The ones I'm familiar with are "acoustic" type- I would go with a "dual-tech" type hardwired unit such as Flexguard. More reliable, less likely to false. Same with motions. Door/window wireless sensors are pretty reliable, but nothing is as bulletproof (or as inexpensive for the equipment) as hardwired.

If they DO hardwire the windows, just be sure they bug both upper and lower sashes of any double-hung windows.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Pricing is something that would vary according to what brand of equipment was used and what the geographic market of the installation was. If one does not use GE equipment it would be hard to do an apples to apples comparision with a different brand. My bias would be toward using a brand of panel that used Inovonics if that much of the system was wireless. Inovonics Wireless products have been successfully integrated into many leading burglary and fire alarm systems. The RS-232 module is something I have only used on panels that were linking to a Crestron or other automation system. Since we're not a big residential company that hasn't happened often. I hear a GE brand alarm panel is more automation friendly than many other systems. Is that why GE was selected?

Reply to
Roland Moore

Ultragard is discontinued, it could be an Advent.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If it's a Concord I hope they include a 2nd receiver, the internal on the Concord only supports 32 zones and he's way over that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

In case you don't know. ITI wants to make 32.95 per zone. End of story.

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Hey Bob 2 years ago you needed to replace 15 wireless smokes (5806's) because they were 8+ years old and the system was 7 years old. You claimed to have replaced them back then. Why are we now 2 years later looking at only 6 smokes and 3 heats? Why switch from Ademco to GE? Why does the whole burg system need to be replaced? You're all over the place with this.

From: Bob Sisson - view profile Date: Sun, May 22 2005 3:53 pm Email: "Bob Sisson" Groups: alt.security.alarms Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

We are comming up on 8+ Years on our Smoke detectors...

My wife wants to replace them soon, before we get to 10 years

Normally replacing Smokes is easy, but we have 15 of them...

(old house, lots of fireplaces and places to sleep and lots of small floors)

I am looking for a GREAT price on Ademco Wireless 5800 series smoke detectors. I am willing to buy extra if it lowers the price overall.

(We have 5806's now if it makes a difference)

Bob Sisson snipped-for-privacy@Sissonfamily.com

From: Bob Sisson - view profile Date: Mon, May 23 2005 6:18 pm Email: "Bob Sisson" Groups: alt.security.alarms Not yet ratedRating: show options Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I do know how to program the system, I put it in 7 years ago...

Vista 40 with 14 Smokes, 6 Perimeter doors, 3 garage doors, PIR in the garage, 4 Alpha key pads, 2 Wave5800 Sirens and useless 2-way wireless keypad. All custom zone lables.

As for just testing the smokes with canned smoke... The NFPA suggests replacing all Smokes at 10 years. Earlier if they are the "First Generation"

I don't mind paying a bit more for good work... but retail on the smokes is what, $140-$150 and then they will want $65/hr to put in the new serial

numbers... I don't think so....

I recently swapped out the old 2-way systems to put in the newer stiff to enable the 5800waves, which are LOUD by the way. Yes, I had forgotten lots of stuff, but that is why I had a notebook....

I will just have to take a deep breath and call someone and order the @%$##@ things....

Bob s.

Bob Siss> I need a sanity test on an installation price....

Reply to
Everywhere Man

If it was my bid it would be around 3,200.00 not including the driveway sensor, and we also would charge you more if you dont want monitoring (17.95month), about 300.00 more.

JAmes

Reply to
J Barnes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.