Pre-Wire Question

I have a CCTV customer who is looking for me to run his alarm wire while I run my RG59. For GB's & motions I am guess 4 conductor unshielded 18 gauge is the way to go. For door contacts I am guessing 2 conductor 18 guage unshielded. Do most of you guys just run 4 conductor everywhere for purposes of time and in the odd chance you need a spare pair? Thanks.. not looking to do this on a regular basis..

Reply to
Cmore
Loading thread data ...

js

Reply to
alarman

Unless the runs are especially long, most installers use 22/4 for glass breaks and motion detectors. Although magnetic contacts only require 2 conductors, I always ran 4-wire cable to them as well. As you surmised, it can come in handy in case you need to add something later or in the event a staple goes awry during the prewire. Be sure you home run each detector.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It also saves you from having to pack around two different boxes of cable.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Matt, Bass.. thank you for your help! I very much appreciate it. Bassman, if your feeling ill.. I hope nothing but the best for you. I have never figured out the hostility firected towards you.. I have always found your advise on the mark.

Reply to
Cmore

Use 22ga 4c for everything. Either solid or stranded will work fine. The only circuits that require 18ga are sirens and commercial fire circuits.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

if this installation is in the footprint of a commerical Radio Station or other high power RF source, you might want to give thought to shielded cable, or twisted pairs cable. it helps to keep the rf out of the control panel electronics. FYI a good electrical ground is very helpfull as well.. as with all low voltage device cable be sure and keep several inches away from AC lines and cross ac lines at 90 degrees angles whenever possible.. RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

Thanks Cmore,

The funny thing is other than having a cold at the moment I feel fine. I expect to make a full recovery, hopefully without having to do chemo, etc. But whatever it takes, I won't "go gently into that good night". :^)

Don't worry about the hostility. There are a few people here whose lack of business success motivates and/or mental acuity causes them to fill the newsgroup with trash. Fortunately, most news readers allow filtering.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There's nothing funny about lung cancer, Robert. and f*ck that won't 'go gently in to the night crap' What does that mean? You'll let them turn your body in to a toxic waste dump? If they want to fight what's inside by pumping you with poison, walk away. Liquidate what you have and enjoy the body you have right now for however long it lasts.

The funny thing is other than having a cold at the moment I feel fine. I expect to make a full recovery, hopefully without having to do chemo, etc. But whatever it takes, I won't "go gently into that good night". :^)

Don't worry about the hostility. There are a few people here whose lack of business success motivates and/or mental acuity causes them to fill the newsgroup with trash. Fortunately, most news readers allow filtering.

Reply to
mikey

Use the 12 guage

Reply to
Group-Moderator

no it's not for bcn Rocky.. good eyes.. but I do appreciate your suggestions.. just for a friend..

Reply to
camman

Don't dance on his grave, Mike. Sometimes, what goes around, comes around.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Mike's close enough to it right now, and don't mention graves or he'll break out the geiger counter and claim to hear whispers...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

that's after the butchers cut him up so they can pay for their vacation home

gotta agree with you Mikey, enjoy what you have while you can Robt.

Reply to
Rapid

I would not dance for him even if it was on his grave. I WOULD TRAVEL ANYWHERE TO PISS ON IT THOUGH. The 12 guage was a suggettion.

Reply to
Group-Moderator

LEARN EVP LEUCK instead of riding a bike..... you will be amazed

Reply to
Group-Moderator

Hey Mike,

Can you provide a EVP recording?

Not one I can Google... One YOU recorded.

Reply to
G. Morgan

What's a suggettion?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Um yea LOL!

formatting link

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.